IGNORED

1978 stock alternator wiring

neutrino

Hey. I’ve been having trouble with my battery lately and I decided to have my alternator tested. It came back positive. However, upon bolting it back in, I realized that I did not take a picture of the wiring before it was taken off. I thought I did, but my phone’s camera was delayed and all I got was a blurry shot of the fender. I’ve tried looking for resources to help, but there seems to be next to no information about the wiring of the alternators used on the ‘78 model. I have some stuff figured out, but these last three have me stumped. Could any of you help me out?AED484FC-FB6C-46AF-9FD3-7C765EC739A6.jpeg

303C82D9-CDE6-4834-9FA9-CD0022154B48.jpeg

You have red plug wires?

There's a B and An E molded in to the back of the alternator case.  You can see them in your pictures.  The thick white with red stripe wire is on the B (Battery) stud.  The silver can (condenser/capacitor), and the black wire, are on the E (Earth) stud.

1 hour ago, neutrino said:

Is the E stud the cylindrical part with the hole in it? I don’t remember taking a bolt out of that, and underneath the car is bolt-free. If I need a bolt, where could I get one?

New here but to support Zed here is someones swap I found that has a detailed array of picture that show exactly how you should redo it. Hope this helps 🙂 https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

Edited by shadrz
Wanted to Quote Zed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, neutrino said:

Is the E stud the cylindrical part with the hole in it? I don’t remember taking a bolt out of that, and underneath the car is bolt-free. If I need a bolt, where could I get one?

As @Zed Head said, the stud for ground is just above the E in your picture (1). The condenser (2) and the black wire (3) are attached to the stud. If you are missing the nut that goes on the stud, go to your local chain auto parts store and get one of those boxes of assorted metric fasteners (nuts/bolts/washers). It should probably be an M6 or M8 nut. You'll also want a flat washer and lock washer to help secure the condenser and ground wire.

image.png

• Like 2