IGNORED

Alternate OEM door mirrors?

Jeff G 78

12 minutes ago, a.gearhead77 said:

P_20211217_202522.jpg

It looks really good.  I ended up finding an OE LH mirror and I lucked out.  It just barely sticks out wider than the widest part of the body, so my car still fits through my 69" wide golf cart door.  I guess I'll weld up the holes in the RH door and just stick with the OE mirror now.

Just realized you have a 77 Z.

Did you use the OEM 77 mirror or one for a 240Z??

Don't know if you have seen these Jeff:

Image 1 - Datsun 240Z/ S30 Mirror Reproduction 1970 To 1973 Years

Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154739819489?hash=item24073643e1:g:rPYAAOSweEFbCevK

Funny that the price of a reverse engineered passenger side copy of the 240Z OEM mirror is about half the cost of a new Nissan driver's side one!

Edited by Zup
added info.

• 1 month later...

Jeff, I want to revive this discussion.  I’m sitting in a hotel and the TV only has French channels and it’s cold and wet outside tonight, so I’m on the forum going through old posts that are revenant to me.  
I need side mirrors.  I like the stock 240z ones but there is not option it appears for the passenger side.  My car doesn’t have holes drilled for a passenger side mirror either.  I can’t believe people drove around like that.   All the classic looking chrome mirrors I’ve seen are crap.  They’re partial chromed plastic with a metal base.  I think that’s so cheap.  I don’t like cheapo stuff that looks like you got it at the dollar store. The bullet ones I’m not sure about but I’ve read they’re 100% non functional especially on the passenger side due to lack of mirror movement, so that ends that option.  
I guess I could just get one 240z mirror and be done.  I’ll have to stretch my neck to move safely over the the right lane then.
Jeff, what have you decided since you posted this?  

Here’s my current mirror.  It’s not great..

Heres one I like on the green 280z but can’t find ones exactly the same that’s aren’t plastic garbage.  Anyone know what it is? 

9EB4CD12-0391-4EA3-ADCC-148DF7DBAC7C.png

0292AE56-F5A5-4A20-9FCA-7C0AFCD9E2E6.png

5 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Jeff, I want to revive this discussion.  I’m sitting in a hotel and the TV only has French channels and it’s cold and wet outside tonight, so I’m on the forum going through old posts that are revenant to me.  
I need side mirrors.  I like the stock 240z ones but there is not option it appears for the passenger side.  My car doesn’t have holes drilled for a passenger side mirror either.  I can’t believe people drove around like that.   All the classic looking chrome mirrors I’ve seen are crap.  They’re partial chromed plastic with a metal base.  I think that’s so cheap.  I don’t like cheapo stuff that looks like you got it at the dollar store. The bullet ones I’m not sure about but I’ve read they’re 100% non functional especially on the passenger side due to lack of mirror movement, so that ends that option.  
I guess I could just get one 240z mirror and be done.  I’ll have to stretch my neck to move safely over the the right lane then.
Jeff, what have you decided since you posted this?  

Here’s my current mirror.  It’s not great..

Heres one I like on the green 280z but can’t find ones exactly the same that’s aren’t plastic garbage.  Anyone know what it is? 

9EB4CD12-0391-4EA3-ADCC-148DF7DBAC7C.png

0292AE56-F5A5-4A20-9FCA-7C0AFCD9E2E6.png

I like the chrome mirrors like the ones on the green car, but I never thought they looked right on a 280Z and finding decent quality LH and RH ones similar is tough.  I ended up with a stock LH mirror like on your car and I will likely weld the holes up in the right door and stick with just one.  Due to my super tiny garage opening, I had to find mirror(s) that were tucked in.  It turns out that the OE LH mirror barely adds any width to the car. 

As for alternate mirrors, the best case scenario IMHO would be for somebody to duplicate the factory LH mirror as a RH, but that's never going to happen.  Next best would be an alternate OE mirror as the original post was about.  That too seems to be very unlikely as they are all too big and the angle is all wrong.  Almost all modern mirrors are sail panel mounted and not door mounted.  

To me, door mirrors are one of the most lacking items in the Datsun aftermarket.  

7 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

My car doesn’t have holes drilled for a passenger side mirror either.  I can’t believe people drove around like that.

Funny!  My Dailey driver is a 08' grand prix.  One night on the way home from work, i side swiped a deer.  Ripped off my passenger mirror.  Years later now, i remind myself that my first car (240z) never needed passenger side mirrors.  So to this day I've never replaced it. 

13 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

As for alternate mirrors, the best case scenario IMHO would be for somebody to duplicate the factory LH mirror as a RH, but that's never going to happen.

19 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I like the stock 240z ones but there is not option it appears for the passenger side.

19 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I guess I could just get one 240z mirror and be done.

There IS a RH factory replica available.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/154785975290?hash=item2409f68bfa:g:rPYAAOSweEFbCevK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zup said:

There IS a RH factory replica available.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/154785975290?hash=item2409f68bfa:g:rPYAAOSweEFbCevK

I like that mirror….it’s all metal which is good.  Most are plastic crap,  I asked a guy on EBay about ones for sale like the green Z pic I posted above,  plastic ones were $68 but he had one metal one and wanted $450 pounds for it….uhhhh no thank you.  

I looks like zcardepot sells one just like Zup showed.  Unfortunately, that won’t work for you Jeff with your space constraints.  It’s all metal and seem to look okay.  
Has anyone out there ever used this one. Apparently it works fine for both sides too.

F4CABDDE-E293-427A-8CFA-E6831895D16B.jpeg