IGNORED

Flat Top Pistons for L28 - Any for sale? Can't find any!

Auston

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could help me find flat-top pistons for an N42 L28 block. I've been searching the internet for the past few days and I just can't seem to find anything.. either sold out or is unavailable. 

I'm looking for .030" oversized. I appreciate any help or leads you guys could give me, as I am stuck.

..or maybe, someone might have a set they'd be willing to sell. Who knows? Thanks ahead and any help is highly appreciated!

I do have a set of dished pistons already, but I really want the higher compression from the flat top pistons. Thanks ahead, any leads or advice is greatly appreciated.

my 280z.jpg

engineblock.jpg

1 hour ago, Auston said:

flat-top pistons for an N42 L28 block

280ZX pistons are what you are looking for.  That would be an F54 block, but the block doesn't really matter.  Might help your search.  The 280ZX F54 block used a different head with a bigger combustion chamber so flat tops were used instead of dished.  But the crankshaft and block dimensions are the same.

Looks like Zcardepot knows where to find some.  Or not.  Good luck.

https://zcardepot.com/products/piston-set-flat-top-l28-280zx-81-83

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Thanks @Zed Head for some info. I already checked that out, Datsun Spirit, eBay, even California Datsun.. I can't seem to find any. I really appreciate your reply though.

If I can't find any soon, I guess I'll stick to the dished pistons. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

280ZX pistons are what you are looking for.  That would be an F54 block, but the block doesn't really matter.

Whoopsie Zedhead..  My 1979 euro version 280zx has a N42 block (and N42 Head..)  just wanted to let you know.. early 280zx had that later came the F type.

I might have what you are looking for:

"NPR of America" piston kit (10-) Made in Japan, #12010-P/912 STD

I bought a shed full of Z parts a few years ago and these were in it.  I'll take some photographs today and post them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Whoopsie Zedhead..  My 1979 euro version 280zx has a N42 block (and N42 Head..)  just wanted to let you know.. early 280zx had that later came the F type.

I know.  Didn't see a need to make things more complex.  The point was that F54 block 280ZX pistons should be used as the search criteria, among the usual parts store sites.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jonbill said:

why not go bigger? 86.75mm is a bit of a meh size. many will have flat top pistons in 88mm+

The block in his post appears to be done.  Already at .030" over.

eBay is probably the most likely place to find them, or that Facebook store/market thing.  Never tried the Facebook, but people seem to like it.  Gotta be some NOS stuff out there somewhere. 

Weird that manufacturing is so far behind.  Hope it comes back.  Not a good sign that everyone is out of stock, of almost everything.

• Like 1

I have a set of six (6) used 87mm (+0.040) L28 flat top pistons and rods for sale - $180 + shipping. New set of 87mm Deves rings for an additional $70

Also, have a set of six (6) NOS 87mm (+0.040) L28 flat top pistons, rods and rings - $450 + shipping

Contact me if interested