IGNORED

Precision seals

madkaw

It was many years ago that I used a Precision weatherstrip kit on my Z . I remember how the door seals just didn"t work. You had to slam the doors and they didn't want to break in . I eventually went with Kia door seals , but they discontinued them.  I thought that I had read more recently that their design had changed and folks were having good luck with them. Well I just received a full kit and the door seals still suck. Same deal-doors have to be slammed against the hard rubber . I just ordered the spendy Vintage rubber set -hope I'm not disappointed again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madkaw said:

It was many years ago that I used a Precision weatherstrip kit on my Z ..... Same deal-doors have to be slammed against the hard rubber . I just ordered the spendy Vintage rubber set -hope I'm not disappointed again.

Your new door seals didn't "relax" after hot days and being compressed?  Mine took only a few days after installation and leaving the car sitting in the sun before they allowed the doors to close normally.  Maybe the 115º temps here at the time helped the process.  Regardless, they quickly conformed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, psdenno said:

Your new door seals didn't "relax" after hot days and being compressed?  Mine took only a few days after installation and leaving the car sitting in the sun before they allowed the doors to close normally.  Maybe the 115º temps here at the time helped the process.  Regardless, they quickly conformed.

My first run of precision seals ? - No - they never broke in . That’s why I wonder if 10 years later it’s the same thing . Like I said - the Kia seals were an immediate transformation . They have never leaked either . That’s why I say it’s a design flaw and not just needing to be broke in . It’s hard to pass on to a customer to let their door seals break in - just slam your doors for a while . I’ll see how Vintage does .

2 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Madkaw do you have to slam the door at all to get it shut?

Yes . The seal doesn’t want to squeeze down at the top of the door body . It also binds on the forward part of the door . 

@madkaw do your doors still have that rubber that’s supposed to be on the the cam that latches to the body?

it might be unrelated to the issue you have at hand, but I wonder if that is also preventing it from closing with enough force to compress the material down.

just for a note if you have to change the seal, I used:

1120A333 Water- & Weather-Rst Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Side, Hollow, for 3/16" Edge, 5/8" High, 25 ft. Length

from MCMaster-Karr. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, madkaw said:

It was many years ago that I used a Precision weatherstrip kit on my Z . I remember how the door seals just didn"t work. You had to slam the doors and they didn't want to break in . I eventually went with Kia door seals , but they discontinued them.  I thought that I had read more recently that their design had changed and folks were having good luck with them. Well I just received a full kit and the door seals still suck. Same deal-doors have to be slammed against the hard rubber . I just ordered the spendy Vintage rubber set -hope I'm not disappointed again.

You talking about these I'm sure because I bought the complete set about 10 years ago. Got them from a guy after he sold his Z. Glad I haven't yanked the OE yet. 

20210507_124336.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

4 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

What about I try with the hatch seal first. That's the one that lets all my exhaust fumes in. Then I'll do the passenger's door and see what happens. I never open that door. Thanks

ugh i used the inner hatch seal on this mine, its an interesting fit. I used 3m weather stripping glue inside the channel, then used metal laundry clamps to hold it to the body. I worked in sections, top, sides, then bottom.

Get the big tube of the glue form the store and lather it up. ESPECIALLY near the hatch hinges. Then send me the glue that you did not use, I need to add more in that area its lifting up. Fax works for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

@madkaw do your doors still have that rubber that’s supposed to be on the the cam that latches to the body?

it might be unrelated to the issue you have at hand, but I wonder if that is also preventing it from closing with enough force to compress the material down.

just for a note if you have to change the seal, I used:

1120A333 Water- & Weather-Rst Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Side, Hollow, for 3/16" Edge, 5/8" High, 25 ft. Length

from MCMaster-Karr. 

I remember reading about these and never replaced mine on my car . The issue for me is that I can remove the seal and the door closes perfectly and is aligned nicely  . Put the seal back in and the door has to be slammed and it pushes the door out . 
I spent countless hours with my original precision rubber seals. I shimmed, adjusted , oiled, altered the catches . I thought it was my door . Put Kias on and blam- everything works fine .