IGNORED

Prop shaft and half shaft phasing

heyitsrama

On 4/28/2021 at 10:41 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

I never had that.. you use the original bolts (they fit very snug)  and nut with the spring ring?  I always use the originals and never had that problem.. shaking yes but that's because my early 71 car has no diff arrester band.. not even the connecting stuf on the underbody.. they are not there.. at 200km/hr it shaking vigarously but.. oh i have to restore my 240z for the 3th in it's life haha.. maybe in 2 years or so..

I did indeed use the original everything. In the end I went over FSM torque with some thread-lock + a fine paint brush of yellow acrylic paint to mark the final position of the nuts / bolts. That way, I could identify if anything had moved and so far, with some serious hooligan antics, so good. I also ditched the stock nuts at the diff end of the half shafts and went for serrated flange nuts - which again haven't moved, yet!! 😉

On diff arrester, I made my own in the end as the RT mount was way too expensive (£120) by the time you did the crappy GBP: USD exchange / postage and import duties. Total cost on mine ended up about £20 I think. 

https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/the-“ak”-mount.27293/

Diff arrester.jpg

Diff arrester2.jpg

The thread needs updating as the final version was much wider and I gave up trying to use the strap brackets. there is a 1mm gap under the red bush and a 3mm rubber washer between it and the mount to reduce vibrations.

Edited by AK260
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

You...double clicker.. 😂

SUBMIT Reply.. just once Alan ( is it? ) 

ROFLMAO!!! We are having internet issues with Virgin today so strange things are happening here. I was editing it to correct spellings and add the bit about the diff arrester. Hidden it now.

It's Ali - as in Prince Aliiiiiiii, handsome is heeeee, Ali of Abwa!

Edited by AK260
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AK260 said:

I was editing it to correct spellings

Thats GOOD, I like to learn it correct! The bloody english language haha..  in the '90's i had some english neighbors ( ALSO neighbours! ... tsss... what is it then? "o" or with "ou" both are correct... mmppffff...)  and i often spend some time with them, i leant a lot of english and they where (or were??) very bad in Dutch..  Yeah the older they are the more difficult it gets ..

Nice arrester you made there!  I have to make one one day.. i hope i get to it one day but there are 2 other cars that need to be serviced and waxed first pfff...

• Like 1

Thanks dude. It was a really easy thing to make in the end.

As for spellings: helping my kids with their school spellings I hadn’t realised how 90% of English words aren’t written anything like they are spoken!!! I realise this as my eldest writes them with perfect logic based on how they are spoken!!! :D

@AK260

oh interesting I should have came back and updated this thread.

I need to find the source of the vibration at highway speeds, no more thumping. And thrashing it’s just loud. Maybe I should trim the bushing on my RTmount more.

I literally just wrote a comment in the Old RT mount thread. taking about this, you’re saying there is a 1mm space between the top mount and the diff?

[mention=32052]AK260[/mention]

oh interesting I should have came back and updated this thread.
I need to find the source of the vibration at highway speeds, no more thumping. And thrashing it’s just loud. Maybe I should trim the bushing on my RTmount more.

I literally just wrote a comment in the Old RT mount thread. taking about this, you’re saying there is a 1mm space between the top mount and the diff?

Yes sir - if I did it again I’d probably go for a 3mm gap below it. The diff will always have some lift at highway speed but not enough to stress the diff Mount insulator. The red bush / stop is really very solid, so it will transmit a fair bit of noise. Under acceleration, the diff will try to lift more but you won’t hear it as much over the exhaust / engine note.

18 hours ago, AK260 said:

I hadn’t realised how 90% of English words aren’t written anything like they are spoken!!!

Hihi.. yeah.... But Dutch is in a simular way..  I remember that i used to say jam.. (Say J-A-M.. at once.. J without your D!)   we say sjem.. you say djam  (like the strawberry-JAM.. )  but i got corrected in time, i was about 8-9 years old then haha..

• Like 1