IGNORED

1977 280z EFI Nightmare

ckurtz2

4 hours ago, ckurtz2 said:

@Reptoid Overlords thanks for the confirmation photo! My chain is definitely stretched, but the #3 cam pulley position compensated. Mine may be running a tad more advanced then yours, but it looks to be in spec as well. I wish my cam sprocket looked as clean as yours! 😎

It was only clean because it was new then.  I've never seen one at the 3 mark before, so I'm glad to get confirmation of what it's supposed to look like. You are making good progress.  I've been watching this thread, trying not to get too involved as not to potentially confuse things.   Hoping it all works out..

One step closer. Pulled dizzy at TDC and it definitely seems off a tooth? Even if it was wouldn't me timing the engine compensate for this when I twisted the dizzy, and it won't explain the weird miss and stumble I have?

Here it is. First photo is where the rotor was pointing at TDC with the dizzy timed. Does it look right? Second photo shows the shaft.

@Reptoid Overlords thanks for watching closely! So close to the finish line, I think...

IMG-0299.jpg

IMG-0300.jpg

Put "wipe pattern" in the search box.  Or buy Monroe's book.  It's an important part of setting up a cylinder head.

You chain is looser also because you had the head shaved.  If you have the valve cover off again you might shine a light down at the tensioner to see how far extended it is.  They have been known to pop out.

https://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine-ebook/dp/B006VUICHG

Roger, thanks. I will check out that wipe patter as soon as I can. I also just redid the oil pump, already had the sway bar removed from when I did it last so no biggy. I noticed that I could never get the shaft aligned if I lined up the dots perfectly on the shaft, because I would have to twist the pump on for clearance to get it in. The tang would always be pointing almost perfectly at 12:00. So I just barely offset the dot and twisted it in. This is what I got and I think it is near perfect. What do you think?

IMG-0303.jpg

dizzy proper setup.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! Getting closer. So I put back on the dizzy and fired it up. The lifters seem annoyingly loud, and I am wondering if my spray bar gaskets I made just aren't working well, or are these engines just pretty noisy up front. Anyways. Let it warm up no more misfires out the intake! Still stumbles though when idling. Every few seconds you can hear the exhaust kind of stumble. Now here is where I am stumped. The timing light is reading 60 degrees advanced or something weird like that, what could this mean? The dizzy may have spun round a few times when off the car, does that matter? 

Or could I have missed completely TDC because it has to go two cycles? Is this even possible? If it is how do I make sure I don't do it twice when i repull the shaft.

Edited by ckurtz2

haha. I have the timing dial set at its max 60deg, and I barely got the light to flash with the notch on the crank pulley. Before I could get it marked on the pulley at a reasonable advance. I guess what I am saying is could I have set the distributor a full cycle out. I had TDC set to when piston #6 was on its compression stroke and not #1?

27 minutes ago, ckurtz2 said:

The lifters seem annoyingly loud, and I am wondering if my spray bar gaskets I made just aren't working well, or are these engines just pretty noisy up front.

This is actually a possible sign of the cam lobes slipping off the ends of the lash pads.  There's a thread on the site about that.  That person got lucky and his cam was not destroyed, but it all started with noisy rocker arms.  The fact that yours were looser when you checked again is also not a good sign.  People put tens of thousands of miles on their engines with no wear.

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

This is actually a possible sign of the cam lobes slipping off the ends of the lash pads.  There's a thread on the site about that.  That person got lucky and his cam was not destroyed, but it all started with noisy rocker arms.  The fact that yours were looser when you checked again is also not a good sign.  People put tens of thousands of miles on their engines with no wear.

Interesting and scary. I will dig into some research about this.

Another odd thing I noticed. The timing light shows the pulley mark is bouncing around about 4 deg each way. Man I swear this car is going to be the end of me haha.