IGNORED

Too many options...need your opinions!

astrohog

Okay fellow enthusiasts, I need your opinions.  I've had my 1971 240Z for over 15 years with the hope of someday getting to restore/refresh it.  Well, the kids are finally out of the house and I've managed to save a few $$ and, most importantly, received approval from my wife to start the process!  As you can imagine, I've dreamed of numerous directions to take this project since I've owned her for so long!

Car is a 12/70 build series 1 car (HLS30-16896) matching engine, with 102,000 miles.  It was originally 901 silver but had a horrible '80's MAACO red re-spray.

I have a 1981 L28ET turbo motor I plan to install and will mate to a 5 speed.  I will pull the original numbers-matching L24 and rebuild and crate in case I (or future owner) wants to put it back to original.

Here's my dilemma; I'm going to paint it as close to 901 silver as I can get with modern 2-stage paint.  I'll be adding the Xenon (or something very similar) front splitter, the BRE rear spoiler and the SS Euro style bumpers and 16" Watanabe (or similar Panasports, Konigs, etc) wheels.

What I'm struggling with is the accent colors of those accessories.  Should I go ALL silver/ss (body color splitter and spoiler, all silver wheels, NO rubber trim on bumpers) OR silver/charcoal (matching the factory taillight surround color) which would mean charcoal splitter and spoiler, charcoal on the spokes of the wheels w/polished/machined lip on the wheels and rubber on the bumpers?

I know your opinions will probably only make my decision harder, but let's hear em anyway!!!

IMG_2041 (002) small.jpg

IMG_2047 (002).jpg

IMG_2051 (002).jpg

901 silver.jpg

contrasting spoiler.jpg

front bumber 2.jpg

front bumber.jpg

Rear bumper.jpg

Rewind silver with silver lip.jpg

watanabe 3.jpg

If you don't do excellent work on the modifications you'll reduce the value of the car considerably.  Early 240Z's with originality are getting good money on the auction sites.  Just something to be aware of.

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/240z/

Here's a silver on silver on silver car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-153/

• Like 1

I think the wheels should have graphite centers

If you do a proper air dam like a couple of your pictures then silver

If you do a BRE spook the graphite is ok

The spoiler is silver if the airdam is; graphite if the spook is graphite

All silver and body colour matching front air dam and rear spoiler will give the car a more refined even sedate look, front air dam and rear spoiler being black or charcoal will give it a sportier and more casual look (just my opinion). Two tone wheels to me always look "better", but nothing at all bad about a solid silver wheel.  What a wonderful stage to be at, planning the final look of the car.

I mixed it up a bit on my 72 with body colour on the front air dam and black rear spoiler, black mirrors, bronze wheels.

DSC00250.JPG

DSC00245.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

I was going to post a picture of my all silver 72 with silver wheels but you posted it!

Picture #4 - I had the painter match the 901 silver.

Love the all silver look but is your car - make it yours.

This is what I started with 10 years ago. Also originally 901 silver.

We always can use more members of the silver Z club.

One more picture to make the choice harder.

Good luck

Casey

240z 170.jpgIMG_0089.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casey_z said:

I was going to post a picture of my all silver 72 with silver wheels but you posted it!

Picture #4 - I had the painter match the 901 silver.

Love the all silver look but is your car - make it yours.

This is what I started with 10 years ago. Also originally 901 silver.

We always can use more members of the silver Z club.

One more picture to make the choice harder.

Good luck

Casey

240z 170.jpgIMG_0089.JPG

Your silver on silver is definitely making my decision harder!  I am leaning towards doing the charcoal accents, but.....damn.....

I was originally kind of bummed with my car because I always knew I would return it to original color, and at the time (15 years ago) I wasn't really feeling the silver, but now that I am older and more mature (cough, cough) I am really happy that mine rolled out of the factory clothed in silver!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Hmmm... With today's prices on the early cars, I'm having a hard time recommending any significant modifications from stock.

How about you sell the early one and buy two later ones with the proceeds?      :victorious:

What mods did I post that you would consider "significant"?  As far as I can tell, none of the mods I have planned would be considered irreversible (unless I'm missing something?}.

I would think carefully about any mod that requires drilling holes or cutting. The spoilers will require drilling holes in your hatch, and the L28ET swap may also, since putting a later 5 speed in an early car typically requires additional clearance at the front side of the shifter cut out. Hard to say what else will be necessary to run wiring, mount intercooler, oil cooler, additional gauges, etc. 

There's a person or two on the forum who've said that they wouldn't have done things if they knew that the cars would be worth so much in original form.  That's the point.  You're not restoring, you're modifying.  It's your car, people, I think, just want to be sure you know that your changes might detract from future value.

Beyond that you're really just asking opinions about what looks good.  That's subjective.  Silver, green, red, brown.   Favorite colors, as many opinions as there are colors.  Good luck with it.  

I have to admit that I haven't been paying much attention to the Zcar market recently, but 10 years ago it was perfectly acceptable to add the necessary holes for spoilers and such, even up to the required trans tunnel trimming necessary for a 5 speed install.  Has the market really gotten that "picky" now?  My car would need to undergo a complete restoration anyway to bring it back to any kind of concours condition, I would think that filling a couple of holes during that process wouldn't (shouldn't?) be a reason for any appreciable de-valuation?  Let me know if I am off base here.