IGNORED

Dash Differences : Under the skin

zKars

On 3/11/2021 at 5:41 PM, zKars said:

We have discussed differences in the dashes through out the various years, but I’ve never seen a discussion about the differences BEHIND the dash pad.  There are wiring differences, 73 dashes have the lit controls and pull hazard switch, but I’m talking stuff you REALLY don’t see.  

This week I’m swapping a cracked dash pad for a Hung Vu reproduction dash pad on a fairly early 1970 240Z, VIN 27xx ish.

I was having trouble fitting the old dash frame into the new dash pad, and wondered if the issues are related to the expected minor differences in the fancy new dash pad or something unique about the frame itself, There were a couple of screw holes in the HCP area that were obviously not in the same place in the new pad (there are lovely metal bars built in where the frame to pad screws bite, predrilled too!) so I wondered what else might be “unique”

Downstairs I go to get another dash, this one from a 72. Removing the steel frame from the dash pad and comparing it to the early frame there are several very obvious differences. Most are related to strengthening the frame.

I’m just going to post a series of pictures that compare the two. 

BTW, the 72 frame fits the new pad much better. Not entirely sure why.

HCP?

On 3/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, CanTechZ said:

The Dash from my 7/70 (#6521) has some of the early and later features. Reinforced ends and stamped steel center braces.

The dash from my 5/70 (mid-3000's) has the same armature structure as CTZ's #6521. 

On 3/13/2021 at 4:47 AM, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

@zKars interesting, wonder what made them change the design. will you be writing a review on the overall experience and fitment of this dash pad? A review would be invaluable to anyone looking at restoring a dash... 

ryan 

I didn't study the old dash really hard when it was out of the car, but I found the quality and fit of Hung Vu's reproduction extremely good. They're not perfect, but they're biggest advantage is that they are new, and not 50 years old. Even an unused Nissan dash in the box, is still 50 years old, and will cost you your retirement. I guess I should have taken lots of photos. I had the job done, and it was part of a much bigger project. 

On 3/14/2021 at 7:33 AM, bpilati said:

I didn't study the old dash really hard when it was out of the car, but I found the quality and fit of Hung Vu's reproduction extremely good. They're not perfect, but they're biggest advantage is that they are new, and not 50 years old. Even an unused Nissan dash in the box, is still 50 years old, and will cost you your retirement. I guess I should have taken lots of photos. I had the job done, and it was part of a much bigger project. 

That's a good point.  Any uncracked OE dash that's being offered (for big $$$) is probably a hand grenade.  Unless you plan to install said uncracked dash in a trailer queen that's garage-stored, it's just another piece of 1970's-tech plastic and foam waiting for exposure to the real world to do its thing. 

I don't think any of us really know why they cracked.  Was it sunlight?  High under-glass temps?  Air pollution chemicals? Combination of all htree?  Or maybe it was just over-exposure to ArmorAll! LOL  Probably only a chemical engineer who specializes in polymers knows the correct answer.

I restored my cracked 1970 240Z dash.  It was a lot of work.  Six years later, it's still ok but it has only a facsimile of the OE dashpad's 'haircell' look and feel.  If the Hung Vu repro pad had been available six years ago, I would have taken that route.  The 'Just Dashes' option was high quality but just too expensive for my budget.

• Thanks 1