IGNORED

My grandfathers car collection he left us

Reece

6 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

928 and 944s are raising in value finally. They were a blip in Porsche history and made for few years only. Porsche and Audi were together during those years and did some swapping around. I had a 944 with an Audi motor. One of the best cars I've ever owned as far as driving but we all know the front engine was a resale killer. I'm glad to see the value coming back as they were great cars to drive.

I don't know much on this car but i'd love to research more about it, sounds like a blast to drive though! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reece said:

I don't know much on this car but i'd love to research more about it, sounds like a blast to drive though! 🙂

The roll up headlights were very expensive on my 944. They were problematic for mine but other than that regular maintenance was normal, timing belt replacement should have a sticker on the top radiator support showing when the work was was done.

Porsche Atlanta parts was the best "junkyard" and pelicanparts.com the most helpful forum. You'll find yourself drawn to the 928.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://forums.pelicanparts.com/&ved=2ahUKEwj9wPjPqovvAhVN8OAKHaVRC-8QFnoECAMQAg&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw1SFnAXNizfv8E6O1hxvBsR

Edited by siteunseen

29 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

The roll up headlights were very expensive on my 944. They were problematic for mine but other than that regular maintenance was normal, timing belt replacement should have a sticker on the top radiator support showing when the work was was done.

Porsche Atlanta parts was the best "junkyard" and pelicanparts.com the most helpful forum. You'll find yourself drawn to the 928.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://forums.pelicanparts.com/&ved=2ahUKEwj9wPjPqovvAhVN8OAKHaVRC-8QFnoECAMQAg&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw1SFnAXNizfv8E6O1hxvBsR

My friend also had bought a 928 and he said the same thing as you hahaha! I will definitely have to add this on the no purchase list, thanks for reaching out and giving me the link to that website ill do more research on it! 😄 

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

The Indian looks interesting.

The Datsun would actually be a Nissan 280ZX.  Lots of help here if you want to get it running.

These documents will help too.

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/14-280zx/

Yes Yes!! I am trying to get it running before I head off to college in give or take 6 months. I have downloaded that manual but I need some more instruction, is there any way I can direct message you or give you a call? thanks! 🙂 

Just post on the main forum.  You'll get more better ideas.  Somewhere out there on the forum is a general guide of things to check before trying to start these old cars.  The fuel system needs to be clean and rust free so that the pump and injectors don't get filled with rust and bad fuel.  And knowing how to use a multimeter is very important.  You'll spend a lot of time just checking electrical things on the EFI systems.

Post a picture of the engine for starters.  We'll see if there's anything missing or suspect, and can point out other trouble spots, like the distributor.

And, after that many years, the clutch and brake hydraulics will probably be shot.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

928 and 944s are raising in value finally. They were a blip in Porsche history and made for few years only. 

They just don't look Porsche to me. Those 928 headlights scream Lamborghini Miura, in my opinion. But, then again, Porsche is the 911 in my mind. At any rate, it seems like Porsche was having an identity crisis when making these cars! Neat cars regardless - wouldn't mind finding one in my grandpa's garage!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Just post on the main forum.  You'll get more better ideas.  Somewhere out there on the forum is a general guide of things to check before trying to start these old cars.  The fuel system needs to be clean and rust free so that the pump and injectors don't get filled with rust and bad fuel.  And knowing how to use a multimeter is very important.  You'll spend a lot of time just checking electrical things on the EFI systems.

Post a picture of the engine for starters.  We'll see if there's anything missing or suspect, and can point out other trouble spots, like the distributor.

And, after that many years, the clutch and brake hydraulics will probably be shot.

Sounds good I do have some pictures somewhere but if I can't find them I'll just go take some new ones. I do not know how to use a multimeter but I for sure can learn.. My original plan before even joining this forum was to engine swap this car, resto-mod it and make it into a drifting machine, I now understand that making this into a drifting car would not be a smart move. However do you think it is still possible to engine swap it and make the interior modern (changing out the seats, restoring the dash, roll cage possibly?) Those are just ideas but I think I do want to try and engine swap and obviously get new seats. 

There is, or was/were, a kit(s) for swapping in a Chevy engine.  But once you drive the L6 you might change your mind.  Get it running first and try it out.

Nobody has ever said that they wasted their time learning how to use a multimeter.  It's a must-have skill for DIY stuff.

https://zcardepot.com/collections/ls-v8-swap

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tweeds said:

I'm not really asking for myself - I know some Porsche guys who collect/restore them who might be interested. 

Gotcha well I was able to find some pictures, I know I have a video somewhere but I couldn't find that one but anyways here is proof that the light motors and everything does work so if your friends who might want a Porsche let me know! 

IMG_7700.png

IMG_7697.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Reece said:

Gotcha well I was able to find some pictures, I know I have a video somewhere but I couldn't find that one but anyways here is proof that the light motors and everything does work so if your friends who might want a Porsche let me know! 

Thanks! Coincidentally, I should be meeting up with them in a week or so - I'll run it by 'em. If they're interested, I'll send you a message.

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

There is, or was/were, a kit(s) for swapping in a Chevy engine.  But once you drive the L6 you might change your mind.  Get it running first and try it out.

Nobody has ever said that they wasted their time learning how to use a multimeter.  It's a must-have skill for DIY stuff.

https://zcardepot.com/collections/ls-v8-swap

Ahh thank you for that link, seems very helpful! You're probably right I might just fall in love with this engine but I was hoping to expand my personal collection of v8 engines. The only problem I have run into was whenever I did get this engine running, I heard a strange knocking sound that seemed to go away after a while, but this was still very strange to me. It is a possibility that from sitting that long it might have just needed to knock some things loose! haha! Anyways another problem I was having was the clutch pedal spring was not doing its job of bringing the pedal back to my foot, instead I would press down on the clutch pedal and it would essentially stay compressed, I hope that makes sense. I have posted about this on this fourm a while ago and ordered a new clutch master cylinder and a new clutch slave cylinder which I hope to fix the issue but I haven't been able to get around to it because I want to remove the dash first.