IGNORED

Zcardepot Header Experience?

Vorticity

There's a very similar discussion going on in another thread.  Kind of confusing though, about what parts are being discussed and where they came from.

Those ZCD headers don't have matching ports.  Four round, two square.  You want the ports to match the exhaust ports on the heads.

image.png

• Like 2

Ahh, I see it now.   I've bought a few things from them lately, but nothing too complicated like a header apparently is 😉

I can say their service is quick.  Never had a problem that I had to send back.  I was interested in this header because of the long collector pipe that is coated.  I was hoping it would help with the heat coming up through the floor board under my seat.  I drive mine on long trips from time to time and it gets so hot.  Anything over a two hour trip and my tail starts to sweat, and I've got cold AC.   I stuff towels under the seat and between the seat and transmission tunnel, which helps a lot.  

You can try something like these:

Design Engineering DEI 010451 DEI Titanium Pipe Shield with LR Technology | Summit Racing

Thermo-Tec 11676 Thermo-Tec Stainless Steel Clamp-On Heat Shields | Summit Racing

I have the Thermo-Tec on my race car dual exhaust which sits directly under my feet. No interior heat shield or carpet. Without the heat shield the floor would reach 145 degrees and with the shield 100. I will likely go with a sheet of aluminum and stand offs to give me an air cushion with another layer of protect like gold film on the bottom.

I use the same one on my street Z but at least I have dynomat and a carpet to help.

Edited by gnosez
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip.  About to start ordering.  Think I'll just keep it simple and go with the MSA 6/1 coated header and one of their exhausts.  I figure they've worked the kinks out and it should be an easy install.  Hard part seems to be getting the old stuff off the car.  

Don’t think you can go wrong with the MSA header - it’s been the same design forever . Thick flange . NOT equal length , but that doesn’t amount to much as far as performance .  My MSA does a good job keeping heat in the header with the ceramic coat . I don’t like this mismatched port shapes either . 

• Like 1

Haven't done much business with Zcar Depot, but so far I'm lukewarm about them.  Picked up their brake line insulator and bracket clip sets recently - the brake line insulators are fine for 3D printed pieces, but the hole for the fuel return is sized way too big on the curved transmission tunnel insulators for the 1971 OE pipe size.  The clamp set is ok, except for they don't provide the correct elongated clamp for the flow guide firewall mount.  Sent them an email about these issues, got one response saying that they've sold hundreds of these with no issues, and then they went silent.  Seeing this header with mismatched ports doesn't surprise me based on my experience.

I had good luck with the MSA 6->1 header (uncoated) and their 2.5" exhaust system on my 1971 30 years ago, assuming the pieces haven't changed much I'd probably go that route again.

Actually, there 6/1 says it has equal length tubes.  Motorsport! MOTORSPORT TBC Coated 6-1 Header, 70-76 240Z-260Z-280Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX ( Z31 Z32 ) 350Z 370Z Parts

If you read some of my other posts over the years, the primary reason to switch to headers is that I have a 73, which has a unique downtube that I would have to have custom made if I want to keep the stock exhaust manifold.  The stock manifold has all the ugly fittings for EGR, which PO left when he removed all the EGR stuff as part of the conversion to round tops.  I could have the downpipe made, then pull it and the manifold, remove and plug the fittings, check it for warpage, get it blasted, and have it all coated.  Then bolt it all back on and be good.  The somewhat stock exhaust would match the pretty polished intakes, balance tube and refurbished carbs that are going on it.  Or...I could just get a coated header.  I'd store the old manifold in case I ever wanted to go back to stock.  

Seems easier to go with headers, and does stock exhaust manifold matter much when the intake and carbs have already been changed?  The engine is otherwise all stock, so I doubt I will get much performance gain from the headers.  My exhaust itself looks mostly factory, complete with crush bent, skinny pipes.  The PO did replace the muffler with a vertical twin slashed tip Ansa, but it's starting to rust out.  I bet I'll see some gain just from replacing the pipes and muffler.  Car only has 106k documented miles on it, most of which were put on before 1990.  I've put 12k on it since I bought it in 2007.  I plan to keep it a while longer.  

9 minutes ago, AK260 said:

I just posted this onto the other thread ...

Not sure how good this is but it “looks” like a remake of the MSA / Pacesetter items ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-Primary-Datsun-Z-Header-All-Square-Port-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-/313386185058?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

They hide the actual ports in their pictures.  Probably the same 4 round, 2 square header.  There's probably an offshore company making thousands of these for cheap, and people are just reselling them.