IGNORED

Variable Clutch Cover Height or Thickness Availability

zKars

The whole clutch/collar question is really simple. Exedy clutches are same spec as original Datsun/Nissan pressure plates. If you have a 240Z with a 240Z original pressure plate and order an Exedy 240Z pressure plate, your collar will work. If you are not sure what you have, order a 240Z clutch and a 240Z collar from someone reputable like Motorsports, and it’ll work.....no sweat. If you order a 280Z or ZX clutch, order the corresponding collar. A 240mm clutch and you simply need to order the 2 plus 2 or turbo collar that goes with that clutch pressure plate. The collars are cheap, so why not just order both clutch and collar to match when you order. Just order from someone you trust to know they are sending the correct collar for that clutch. Then if you want to measure for peace of mind, you can do it. It ain’t Rocket Science. IMHO

Just a few years ago you couldn't find the collars.  The guys you listed weren't selling them.  So, it hasn't always been so simple.

And, there were people saying if you have a 4 speed you needed one collar, a 5 speed another.  Simple was wrong then.

Edited by Zed Head

• 5 months later...

Working on another engine the other day, assembling a new transmission to the engine, and I checked the throwout bearing collar tab height off the flywheel face to see how close it was to the 92mm ideal. Clutch was working fine when we took it apart. It was short by a good 10-12mm!!! 

Ok, so I go to the well as it were to look for a longer collar to get it closer to the ideal and low and behold, mother Hubbard’s cupboard is bare. Of longer collars at least. So what’s a guy to do?

I’ve been dreaming of making adjustable length collars at some point so I never have to suffer this “no stock” indignity again, but haven’t quite gotten there yet, but I starred at the collar wondering how to make it longer. Cut it in half, machine and weld in a new ring of steel to lengthen it? Sure, I have all day to play that game, not….

Then an idea struck me. I wonder…..

I could just make a few spacers and put them underneath the throw out and gain a bit of length.

The mounting collar is 14mm high, the bearings are a bit thicker, all the force is on-axis, I bet I could space that bearing out by 6mm (1/4”) and not cause any problems. So. 

Off the lathe I go. I have some 1.75 OD / 1.5” ID aluminum pipe, need to turn the inside to 40mm ID. The OD is perfect at 1.75mm (45mm)

2C55E9E9-044A-4926-A3D5-27D44208FD94.jpeg

EB925613-06BF-447C-9440-C8480A6200BF.jpeg

Edited by zKars

Got the 4mm thickness ring in there now, bearing pressed on just fine. engines in the car, we’ll see how it goes.

I put in an adjustable length slave rod as well so I can tweak free play.

I have to say, given all the clutch/ throwout collar combo’s I’ve seen that are quite different from the 92mm ideal (all working just fine), that there is more room for error than we give it credit for. I’m not saying “put anything in there you like, but you can clearly do a bad thing by having too long of a collar, but you can make up a lot if it’s too short by just coming up with a longer slave rod. 

• Like 1