IGNORED

Floor Jack Question

texasz

4 hours ago, texasz said:

I've got to say I'm shocked at all the support for Harbor Freight jacks on here!  I've always been VERY cautions what I buy there, yes cheap...and that's part of the problem.  I'll buy one time use items, of things that are pretty much the same everywhere (i.e. tarps, bungie cords, etc).  A jack is a serious thing though, I'm trusting my autos and body parts to a jack and was looking for quality and reliability.  From what everyone has said on here is seems that the jacks they sell have both.  @Jeff G 78 and others, do you have a specific make/model you suggest (aluminum please)?

Don't get me wrong.  I am a tool snob and HATE 99% of the HF tools.  I buy latex gloves and tarps there, but little else.  As for jacks, they really aren't much of a safety concern because no jack, no matter the brand or condition should be trusted even for a moment.  I treat floor jacks like I treat guns and assume it's up to me to be safe.  The jack stands are the exact opposite.  I have never bought HF jack stands as I'd rather not be crushed to death under my car.

I like the Pittburgh 2.5 ton jack.

• Like 4

I’m Another HF jack off. I have two Pittsburg aluminum jacks . I’m like Cliff, I just bought the 1.5 . It’s super light and fits anywhere.

I also have the 2.5 which is also great . Even with my lowered car and a front spoiler , I can fit either one between the front tire and my spoiler and reach the center of the crossmember .

Jack stands save lives , not the jack

• Like 1

After reading this thread a couple of days ago I had a look on kijiji to see what was for sale at the moment, found a Lincoln 4 ton air/hydraulic jack for $80  He even delivered it to my door. He says it is bleeding air so I guess it's time for a rebuild, they still sell seal kits for these jacks.

The base is 50" long which WAY too big for my little shop, I plan to get it working and put it back on kijiji.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

• Like 1