IGNORED

280zx 5 Speed Won't Reverse

Muzez

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Actually, it would be from neutral to reverse.  Straight right, then down.  To get past the lockout mechanism.  Just saying...

Can you tell I haven’t installed the trans yet? 😛 Thanks Zed.

@Av8ferg the guy I used is retired, but takes on work from time to time. I just messaged him to see if he is taking on new work. If you want to PM me with your contact details, I will forward them on. 

I am relatively confident the box I have does include the reverse lockout. I have the workshop manual, and the ones with the lockout have a diamond-shaped plate on the passenger side with two 10mm bolts. I have only looked through the shifter hole, and I think I can see that plate/bolts. The car is a 1979 model though.

I cannot shift into reverse from any starting position (tried neutral, 1st, 2nd, 5th).

I'll check the shift bushings next, like you said, very easy to get to. If that yields no result, then I'll try get to the reverse lockout plate, undo the bolts, slide out the mechanism and check for issues. The only tricky part is getting to those bolts without removing the box as they are almost directly above the transmission mount.

Note: I am yet to drain/replace oil in the box.

I appreciate all the help and info 🙇‍♂️