IGNORED

280zx 5 Speed Won't Reverse

Muzez

Found a local 280zx 5 speed trans out of a 1980 NA 280zx. Trans moves pretty easily through 1 to 5, but I can't get it into reverse. Still installed in car, but car is not operational so I can't test it. Owner has no history, picked it up as a parts car. 

Is there any safety device in the older Zs which would prevent the car from going into reverse like a collar or a sensor?

Worth buying to rebuild knowing that reverse is currently not functioning or best to run away? Price is $100. 

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

My 280zx wide transmission's shifter hit in my 240. If you take the shift rod out you can see the nicks if it's hitting

@siteunseen Good suggestion. I pulled the shifter before I left and it looks like there isn’t any damage. It’s actually less grimy than the shifter currently installed on the 280z 5 speed that I had planned to rebuild this winter so I grabbed it haha. (Photos below)

Will pick up the ZX trans this weekend.

@Zed Head the boot and center console were already missing so I could see the shifter area though I didn’t check to see if anything was blocking the shifter. It felt like I couldn’t find reverse. Where I should be able to push right and down, I couldn’t feel the slot. When I would push over from 5th to R, it would slide back into 4th.

8D32A24E-90BE-429A-85E1-953E5040245C.jpeg

4E4882A1-2A65-4B26-9A9A-0826AB7955AB.jpeg

• Like 1

First gear is 3.321 in the Z and 3.062 in the ZX.  The ZX is usually paired with a 3.9 diff, the Z a 3.54.
@Zed Head I always learn new things from you. Always assumed R200 was synonymous with 3.9. Didn't realize that the diff internals would be different based on 280z/280zx. Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

you should NOT be able to go from 5th to reverse, the reverse lockout mech prevent that. You have to shift into some other gear (besides reverse) to clear the mech then you can go into reverse.
That explains it! Thanks as usual Dave!
@siteunseen thanks for the share. Reading through now.

It's great having you guys around because a lot of the older posts link to images on Geosites which are no longer active. Great to have all of the knowledge. Always appreciated guys!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Muzez said:

It felt like I couldn’t find reverse. Where I should be able to push right and down, I couldn’t feel the slot.

Good catch by Dave, but have you gone back and tried again?  You suggested that you had already tried the proper shifting motion, above.  Right and down.

Just saying...