IGNORED

Restoration of HLS30-12070

CW240Z72

Small update as we begin assembling the Z. Discussed earlier in this thread was how to remove some of the discoloring these 50+ year old plastics have endured. I did some research and found multiple ways that claimed to restore the "white" natural color of these plastic parts, ranging from very extensive processes to very simplistic approaches. 

I took the simplistic approach for the vapor canister to see how much that would help. It wasn't too bad, but definitely could use some love. Cleaned it out and submerged it in a bleach/water solution for a week. Not 100% factory fresh, but for the limited amount of elbow grease, it did make it look more presentable. For the washer bottle I'll try something more aggressive. 

Before: 

Canister Before.jpg

After: 

Canister After.jpg

Before and after on the tail light restoration. Disassembled, lenses polished to a high gloss, housing deep cleaned, new gasket, and new connectors for the harness. I’m working with a local shop to replate the original chrome trim pieces right now. Will update how that goes and if new ones will need to be sourced.

D0040D64-184D-496A-8A7A-88D1BE042C29.jpeg

F0912218-7E07-44F5-AC92-3322C60183D0.jpeg

451A1CB3-0B25-4D38-A353-38FCD47FB66A.jpeg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

What procedure did you use on the plastic lenses? It seems anytime I take a buffer to those lenses I end up melting them and have to start again.

Has to be 1800 rpm or slower. I have a two speed buffing wheel. I use a string buff with plastic polish at 1800rpm's. Works great but have to wear a mask because That buff is very dusty. Ive done lots of lights

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

What procedure did you use on the plastic lenses? It seems anytime I take a buffer to those lenses I end up melting them and have to start again.

Using a buffer set to 1000 RPM and a wool pad, take it slow and use a generous amount of compound. I used the same 3M cutting compound for paint. 

I'll wipe compound all over the lenses so that corners don't heat up and melt. Just wrapped up doing the LH lenses tonight with this same procedure. It doesn't take much to clean the lenses up. 

• Thanks 1