IGNORED

I shrink wrapped the Z today

grannyknot

When I have a winter project planned in the garage my poor Z has to spend the winter in the storage tent, I don't like doing in because of all the dust and mice.  So this year I bought a big roll of the white shrink wrap that they use for winterizing boats and now she's all snug for the winter.  I could have worked all the wrinkles out but I didn't see any reason.

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

I'm not familiar with this product at all.  Any concerns about paint damage, particularly paint damage by long-term contact?

That's a good question, this wrap is used for a wide variety products from boats to industrial equipment.  I guess I'll find out in the spring, my paint isn't great to begin with but I'll post up some pics when I peel the wrap off.  I'm pretty confident that if there is anything it will come off with a good wax job.

Here is their website, https://dr-shrink.com/

3 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I was thinking of doing similar with clear vapour barrier and tuck tape to seal.  If you can keep the wind off then no paint abrasion.

Exactly what I was thinking, that's why I didn't finish the shrink job, there's no wind in the tent once it is closed up.

Edited by grannyknot

28 minutes ago, zKars said:

And just what size heat gun did you use to shrink the shrink wrap?

Well I don't have electrical power out near the storage tent so basically I did exactly what GI Joe is doing only the flame is smaller.  In the pic you can see the blue flame in the bottom right corner, I kept the flame 6-7" away and always keep the flame moving.

With an electric heat gun you have great control and can chase or push the wrinkles away as the wrap shrinks, the torch doesn't have that directional control so it takes a little longer. Once the wrap is tight against the paint you don't go back there, I only used it on the baggy areas.

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

• Like 1