IGNORED

Tranny leaks

73avocado

I’ve got a new (to me) 73 Z, and I’ve got leaks from the 3 devices mounted to the transmission. They all leak down the outside of the housing. I’ve found a drawing that calls them the speedo drive, reverse lamp switch, and the clutch slave cylinder. I’ve only been able to find a part number for the o-ring for the speedo, and not much info on how to get at them. Does anyone have the part numbers for the 3 o-rings or seals? Anybody done these before? I’m really hoping to change them without dropping the tranny. Thanks!

All three can be accessed without dropping the transmission. You will need ramps or jack stands tall enough to get under the car, though. I haven't messed with the reverse switch in over 20 years, but I think you should be able to find a generic crush washer for the seal. The reverse switch at Rockauto.com shows a rubber gasket.

image.png

The slave cylinder does not enter the transmission that has the gear oil. If there is a leak there, it may be the sign of a slave cylinder about to fail. (Photos are very helpful to show what you are seeing.)

image.png

• Like 1

check the function of the reverse light if you use a washer. On mine it spaced it out enough to not work. IIRC I used some brush on thread sealant on that one.

Leaks can fool you, they often originate somewhere and then migrate to a low point. Lots of oil leaks can be traced back to failed seals in the trans striker rod. IF you pull the rubber boot up  and feel around where the trans shifter stabs in (you can do this from under the car with out having to remove the center console) you may find a pool of lube. This is NOT normal, its suppose to be sealed. Anyway if that is the origination point of oil leaks, the only way to stop is to pull the transmission, pull the rear housing and replace a seal and an o ring.

this is something that should be done next time you have the clutch  replaced, while the trans is out. Also you should replace the rear main at the same time, another source of sneeky oil leaks.

The first thing I would do is degrease all the areas of concern and check regulary after each drive to determine where the leaks are coming from. Oil can spread and give the impression it's leaking from one spot, but accually coming from another.

Pay attention to where exactly the leak is.

1. Reverse switch: Is it leaking out the side between the transmission case and switch or out through the rubber boot where the wires are? Leaking through the side is s gasket. Leaking past the wires is a worn out switch.

2. Speedo: Leaking through the cable or leaking out between the speedo "adapter" and transmission casing? Leaking past the adapter is an o-ring seal. Leaking through the cable is a inner Lip-seal and is a little more difficult to change. If either one is leaking, I would replace both seals.

3. Slave cylinder: If it leaks replace it. If you buy a new one, strip it apart and clean it before installing it. The new units often have metal shavings left over from manufacture and that can destroy the new seals.

All the parts you mentioned are common leak areas and easy fixes with basic tools.

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

I take it you cleaned the switch it to determine that. If you disconnect the switch wires and unsrew the switch, you will find an o-ring seal at the shoulder end of the thread. You can see it in SteveJ photo. It is an easy fix,. I have the size I used somewhere. Ill look it up.

The speedo is two seals. You should replace both. You can get them at most at most auto dealers. Here is a sreenshot from The Z Store.

Screenshot_20201021-221754.jpg

@EuroDat, I recently replaced the seals on the tail shaft/shifter rod on my 71B transmission 83ZX. The o’ring was the only seal visible on the outside of the speedometer assembly. The seal that you are referring to above was not visible. Is the small seal part of the speedo assembly itself?

14 minutes ago, Yarb said:

@EuroDat, I recently replaced the seals on the tail shaft/shifter rod on my 71B transmission 83ZX. The o’ring was the only seal visible on the outside of the speedometer assembly. The seal that you are referring to above was not visible. Is the small seal part of the speedo assembly itself?

It's deep down inside the housing. You'll need a pick type something to get it out and I'm pretty sure I used a 10mm deep socket to get the new one down inside.

DSC01492.JPG

DSC01494.JPG

Speedometer cable grommet (@ trans) - Open Discussions - The Classic Zcar  Club

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

So at this point for the tranny leak game, it’s me: 2, 73 Z: 1. The slave cylinder and reverse switch are replaced, not leaking, and working perfectly. Unfortunately, I can no longer tell how fast I’m going. I got the speedo pinion out, and it looks like it’s not the first time out of the car. Somebody had done some delicate work on it with a big set of vice grips. I went ahead and got a new one, and it looks exactly like the one in EuroDat’s procedure above. It was quite a bit different than the heavy steel one that I took out. It seemed to match up, so I stuck it back in. Good news, no leaks, bad news, no speed speed indicator. I checked the cable and it is not broken, and secure in the pinion. I ran out out time today and have not taken the pinion out again. 

Has anyone else swapped out this housing before?  I noticed the gear was slightly offset in the housing, but this seemed to be true in the old housing too. I’m pretty sure I got the housing in “right side up”, with the throttle shelf for the locking tab in the right direction. 

Any other thoughts?  Mm