IGNORED

Trouble Downshifting to First Gear?

red67

OMG, Thank you! What a great place! @Zed Head yes, PO told me, the owner of the shop that worked on his Z, called him one day, and said I just acquired a rebuilt 5speed that would be perfect for your car. Do you want it, and he said, hell yes!

I have the original 4speed trans too. 

@siteunseen Thank you, That's one of them, but didn't @EuroDat post call for two washers?

Edited by red67

18 minutes ago, red67 said:

OMG, Thank you! What a great place! @Zed Head yes, PO told me, the owner of the shop that worked on his Z, called him one day, and said I just acquired a rebuilt 5speed that would be perfect for your car. Do you want it, and he said, hell yes!

I have the original 4speed trans too. 

@siteunseen Thank you, That's one of them, but didn't @EuroDat post call for two washers?

Yes there's two, the one in my pics and an o-ring.

Speedo pinion seal 32709-14600

Speedo pinion o-ring 32710-14600

image.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, red67 said:

Got it! Thank You!!!   When I remove the cable, will trans fluid come out?

Nope. That cog is the same height as the fill plug so it shouldn't unless it's overfilled.

When you get it fixed you can do what most of us have done. Drive it and when you park for the night put a newspaper under there then check it the next morning.

Good luck.

16 minutes ago, red67 said:

Got it! Thank You!!!   When I remove the cable, will trans fluid come out?

Nope. That cog is the same height as the fill plug so it shouldn't unless it's overfilled.

When you get it fixed you can do what most of us have done. Drive it and when you park for the night put a newspaper under there then check it the next morning.

Good luck.

image.png

36 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Yes there's two, the one in my pics and an o-ring.

Speedo pinion seal 32709-14600

Speedo pinion o-ring 32710-14600

image.png

Mmm That photo looks familiar😁

Like site already mention. There is a o-ring seal on the outside of the adator and a lip seal inside for the pinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Mmm That photo looks familiar😁

Like site already mention. There is a o-ring seal on the outside of the adator and a lip seal inside for the pinion.

Well yeah! I snipped it from your thread in 2013. You are the man Chas! So helpful to everyone. 

And to the OP there's what I call a top hat seal in there too. Be very careful those are nla. Use good thick teflon tape on everything and you'll be good to go.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 4:45 PM, Pilgrim said:

Incidentally, when I looked up the gear oil for my '83 ZXT on the Amsoil site, it shows an ATF synthetic for the '83 5-speed. I'm pretty sure that is wrong!

Chrysler used ATF in manual transmissions from the mid 1980’s up to when they stopped offering manual gearboxes. It works just fine, and helped raise fuel economy numbers.

2 hours ago, Racer X said:

Chrysler used ATF in manual transmissions from the mid 1980’s up to when they stopped offering manual gearboxes. It works just fine, and helped raise fuel economy numbers.

True, but I'm not sure it's relevant.  Mercedes used ATF in their 4-speed manual transmission in the 1959 219 sedan my dad owned, but I wouldn't use it in the 3-speed with OD transmission that was in my 1959 Ford.

The last time I checked (before this) the correct lube for the factory 5-speed in my 1983 280ZX Turbo was a synthetic GL-4 75-90 gear oil. That's what I'm using and and I don't plan to change it.

Edited by Pilgrim

The ZXT 5 speed was made by Borg Warner.  There is a bunch of discussion about the ATF spec around the interwebs.  The ATF spec is correct, from what I've gathered.  Some people suggest that the needle bearings might not get proper lubrication using the thicker fluid.

I have a Ford 5 speed with Ford ATF, Mercon V, as the spec'ed fluid.  It had shifting problems though so I switched to Pennzoil Synchromesh.  Lower viscosity than 75W-90 but higher than ATF.   It's been great and fixed the problem but the Ford guys say I'm going to ruin it if I don't use Ford product in it (that's what all Ford guys say though).  That was 30,000 miles ago.

Use this in the Google and there's a bunch - "borg warner t5 transmission fluid type".

image.png

• Like 1