IGNORED

240z running rough

rosaaen89

2 minutes ago, wheee! said:

that’s what i originally did before i did everything . i took it to the car wash pressure washed everything . did muriatic acid , baking soda , acetone. idk if i should even try to use red kote after it dries because idk if it’ll stick to what’s left  

i’ve pressure washed, acetoned 3 times , 3 baking soda rinses , muriatic acid , not in order but in total and it don’t look much better then it originally did. i feel like i’m just wasting time and money . i’ll try pressure washing one last time

3 minutes ago, rosaaen89 said:

i’ve pressure washed, acetoned 3 times , 3 baking soda rinses , muriatic acid , not in order but in total and it don’t look much better then it originally did. i feel like i’m just wasting time and money . i’ll try pressure washing one last time

Stick a metal rod down there and see if that stuff is loose and breakable or tough and bonded to the surface.  Give it a good scrape and see what happens.  The tank sealer just needs a good solid clean surface to stick to.

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Stick a metal rod down there and see if that stuff is loose and breakable or tough and bonded to the surface.  Give it a good scrape and see what happens.  The tank sealer just needs a good solid clean surface to stick to.

it’s hard i took it to pressure wash again nothing even came out tried to scrape it with the metal end. guess i’m just gonna run one last thing of acetone and let it dry out and red kote it. idk what else to do other then drive a couple hours each way and drop it off at a radiator shop 

39 minutes ago, rosaaen89 said:

Did you shake it with the washers and nuts?

This is just me, but if there are no pinholes I would run it as it is.  Make sure you have a good cap to keep the moisture out and maybe add a prefilter on the tank outlet.

Most people with Z's that don't have fueling problems probably don't realize how rusty the inside of their tank is.  No offense to those that don't know.  Go look and post a picture.

One of the keys to using Red-Kote is to make sure it's dried/cured before adding fuel.  Also notice that they do not say that all rust has to be gone.  Just most of it.

http://damonq.com/red-kote.html

http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

image.png