IGNORED

1977 280z - weatherstrip kit

240zadmire

Hi everyone.

I'm in search of a weatherstrip kit for the car.

The prices seem to range some what $228 to $300+  a kit.

few questions:

- Anyone using any of the kit below

1. carparts.com
  2. zcardepot.com
  3. zcarsource.com
  4. ocautocarpets.com
  5. thezstore.com

I'm sure there are a few more kit from other sources as well.

It doesn't say the kit have the groove for the chrome on top of the windshield and hatch back.

please share your experience how's the fitment as I read some kit doesn't seal well on the windshield top corners and doors won't close.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

The Kia Sportage seals are well spoken of from all I've read. I got lucky and bought one of the last complete seal kits from MSA. They worked perfect, at least the half of the kit I've installed so far. A few fumes are intoxicating to me, not liked so much by the dog that rides with me. He sleeps very well which scares me.

That’s so sad.  At the minimum I need windshield, rear hatch and whatever the rear hatch needs.  Doors, quarters are all brittle and cracked.  the only rubber on my car that can be salvage are the 2 underneath the doors.  Still flexible and seal nicely.  Everything else is trash.  
So disappointing to know that there are kits out there and don’t fit nicely.  Isn’t the body from 70-78 marginally identical. There has to be a way... 

when you mention Kia Sportage, that is for the doors seal. Do you know what year/model of the Kia?

much appreciated .

My experience ....

1  The Precision seals (sold by many of the above mentioned vendors) the windshield seal works & fits well with no gaps including the fit of bright trim, also the quarter window seals.  I paid a lot of attention to fitment and positioning  the seal and the trim perfectly on the glass before installation.

2  For the hatch window seal I went with OEM Nissan, about $190, for the difference in price, I considered it worth it.   The outer hatch Precision seal is fine.

3  The door seals are the biggest issue,  I have used the Kia 0K018-59760B seal on my hatch, fits and works well.  Others report they work perfect on the doors.

I suspect the 2002 Kia Sportage seals  may no longer being made now that it is 2020....

I have some Vintage rubber seals coming for my neighbors project 240 now ready for paint.  Will comment on fitment when that stage is reached.

Edited by S30Driver
addition
  • Like 1

@S30Driver

thats very informative.  I’ll just pull the plug and get the kit.  Figure still cheaper than buying one at a time.  What doesn’t fit, doesn’t fit and will source some other alternatives.  I really want the windshield and hatch to have that slot for the chrome.  After all, that’s what stand out of our car era.  From reading, look like there shouldn’t be any need for the glue on the windshield and hatch at all.  It should just drop in.

please keep us posted on your project as well.

and thanks for the part number of the doors seal

regards

[mention=20012]S30Driver[/mention]
thats very informative.  I’ll just pull the plug and get the kit.  Figure still cheaper than buying one at a time.  What doesn’t fit, doesn’t fit and will source some other alternatives.  I really want the windshield and hatch to have that slot for the chrome.  After all, that’s what stand out of our car era.  From reading, look like there shouldn’t be any need for the glue on the windshield and hatch at all.  It should just drop in.

please keep us posted on your project as well.
and thanks for the part number of the doors seal
regards

Following this thread with interest!

At the start of my Z ownership journey, I bought a few bits and pieces I needed and looking back, I should have just bought the full kit for cost effectiveness. If you do store unused rubbers*, make sure they aren’t in a loft that gets super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter. Being a natural product they do carry on degrading.

Worst case you eBay the unused ones and get a lot of your money back on eBay or in the club.

Are the chrome trim pieces still available? In the UK I bought what at the time I was told by Nissan was probably the last of the front trim about 3 years ago. The tears are NLA :(

On 8/17/2020 at 6:54 PM, 240zadmire said:

Yeah... OCCarpets.com   Man... if you get the stuff just check what you get precisely and exact if it fits.. they gave me some carpets for a 2 seater IN a 4 seater kit.....  grrr.. i discovered that after 2 years because my first painter took a lot of time.. and then did'nt finish the car.. :facepalm:  Now painted it at a prof shop partly my self!

JUST ALWAYS CHECK THE STUFF YOU GET THE MINUT IT GETS IN..  DOES IT FIT PERFECTLY..

4 hours ago, AK260 said:

Are the chrome trim pieces still available? In the UK I bought what at the time I was told by Nissan was probably the last of the front trim about 3 years ago. The tears are NLA ?

Yes.... ZcarDepot has both front & rear oem trim.  Spendy at over $300 each kit.

https://zcardepot.com/collections/weatherstripping/products/windshield-and-hatch-glass-trim-chrome-set-240z-260z-280z?variant=19281681449073

• Like 1

Thank you! Even speedier if you add shipping to the UK + 30% import duties [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

But good to know they are still available.

I don’t suppose you know if they are Nissan OEM? Maybe Nissan UK may be able to get them to us cheaper.