IGNORED

movement of 83ZXT axles in a R200 with OBX lsd

I'm getting some big clunks from the rear end and would like to ask you guys before I tear it down.

R200 3.90:1, OBX limited slip with all the corrections done to it with about 6,000 mi on it, axles are from a 1983 ZX turbo.

As you can see in the video the P/S axle is the worst and also quite a lot of movement on the driveshaft.

The OBX was installed by a professional differential shop, the wipe pattern was perfect and bearings and seals were replaced at the same time.

Edited by grannyknot

I just pulled a set off of a 83zx 2+2 which I’m pretty sure are the same used on the turbo. No play in the rotation on the axle collar on each end. They are on my bench so really hard to tell on flexing it back and forth for movement. These have 140k  miles. Picked it up to part it out.

Well, I would say thats too much. I know the axles were available at Rockauto. Some of that looks like too much lash on the ring gear but the up & dn movement on the input sides of the diff looks like bearing tolerances. Looks like you have significant movement at multiple points. Will the shop stand behind the diff?

Did you install the better Belleville springs/washers?  The OBX's needed some prep work before installation to get the best results.  There's a guy that was even making new washer/springs (they're actually springs, but look like washers.  Or maybe they're both...).  I think it's R. C. Bryant.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/88099-obx-differential-inspection-and-installation/

https://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm

https://www.centuryspring.com/products/disc-springs/

Could the OBX unit account for any of this movement.  I was thinking they mounted in a way that didn't affect gear lash.

Never mind, the OBX is a complete center section. The helicals could be introducing some of that lash. The side movement would still likely be bearings or damaged bearing surfaces.

Did you check the fluid yet?

Clean? Clear? No silver or filings on the magnet? No grit?

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Did you install the better Belleville springs/washers? 

Yes, dissembled, flipped the helicals, installed the upgraded spring washers and bolts from rbryant and it has been running well for yrs.

32 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Did you check the fluid yet?

That is next on the list

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Yes, dissembled, flipped the helicals, installed the upgraded spring washers and bolts from rbryant and it has been running well for yrs.

That is next on the list

Smoky burnouts?  There have been questions about overall quality of the OBX units.  They are the typical "knockoff" part from offshore.  You'll probably know more when you look at the drain plug or the fluid that comes out.  Good luck

Hah, I'm not a smoky burnout kinda guy, but love watching other guys do it.

Drained the oil today and everything looked pretty good, only a small amount of iron/steel paste on the magnet, then wiped it off, you can see it in the second pic. I think I will nurse it through the summer, I have a track day at Shannonville on Sept 5th.  If I tear it don now I may not get it fixed and back together in time.  If the OBX is the problem then I may go with the MFactory unit, it seems to get pretty good reviews. http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/partno/MF-TRS-05R200

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1