IGNORED

Battery hold-down bracket firewall bolt size?

chaseincats

Hi guys,

I found a battery hold-down bracket and J-hook in my box of parts but cannot find the bolt needed to secure it to the firewall.  Does anyone know the size/pitch of this bolt and I'll head to Home Depot tomorrow?

All I am able to find is the nissan part number which is 08360-61812 and the bolt is an M6 but I can't find the pitch anywhere...

This is the bolt area I'm talking about:

2007bdd1fd6f289bc79cb2d3eb1c6e35_768x.jpg

Edited by chaseincats

About a month ago, one of the CZCC members pointed out that Nissan's part numbering scheme for 'normal' bolts actually contain the full bolt spec. I wish I'd remembered to copy that post into my notebook, but you can kind of see it in the PN for this particular bolt:  '61812'

I think it goes something like this:  x-yy-z-a

x = thread diameter ('6 '= 6, '8' = 8, '0' = 10, '2' = 12)

yy = length under the bolt head (18mm in this case)

z = ?  (I think it's the pitch designator  -  '1' for coarse thread and either '0' or '2' for fine thread)

a = ? (I think it's the grade designator  -- most of the suspension bolt PN's show '0', whereas this low-load bolt's PN is '2'

Maybe somebody with a better memory can fill in the correct information. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

About a month ago, one of the CZCC members pointed out that Nissan's part numbering scheme for 'normal' bolts actually contain the full bolt spec. I wish I'd remembered to copy that post into my notebook, but you can kind of see it in the PN for this particular bolt:  '61812'

I think it goes something like this:  x-yy-z-a

x = thread diameter ('6 '= 6, '8' = 8, '0' = 10, '2' = 12)

yy = length under the bolt head (18mm in this case)

z = ?  (I think it's the pitch designator  -  '1' for coarse thread and either '0' or '2' for fine thread)

a = ? (I think it's the grade designator  -- most of the suspension bolt PN's show '0', whereas this low-load bolt's PN is '2'

Maybe somebody with a better memory can fill in the correct information. 

I have a pdf of the 520/521 Datsun Pickup parts catalog and in the explanation of Nissan parts number system it mentions the Nissan NES part numbering system for hardware type items, here is a snippet:

image.png

This parts catalog doesn't have full detail of the NES system but with a google search i found some interesting info on datsun1200.com. There is an article on the evolution of Nissan part numbers. I can't vouch for it's accuracy but here is a snippet on the 10 digit breakdown that expands on what you describe above:

image.png

Here is a link to the web page,

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=NES_Part_Numbers

Cheers, Mike

I think I found the topic you were looking for, funny its references the same site I found,

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, chaseincats said:

Hi guys,

I found a battery hold-down bracket and J-hook in my box of parts but cannot find the bolt needed to secure it to the firewall.  Does anyone know the size/pitch of this bolt and I'll head to Home Depot tomorrow?

All I am able to find is the nissan part number which is 08360-61812 and the bolt is an M6 but I can't find the pitch anywhere...

This is the bolt area I'm talking about:

2007bdd1fd6f289bc79cb2d3eb1c6e35_768x.jpg

Pull ANY 10mm head bolt out of the engine bay area - fender, intake, anything - that's the thread and pitch. (Not sure? Screw it in that hole...)