IGNORED

battery physical height issue

kenward1000

So I'm looking for a new battery, after a battery failure.  Was taking R hand corners aggressively then the rubber aftermarket battery hold-down failed, sending the group 24 battery sliding L until the positive terminal welded itself to the polished valve cover.  Instant electrical death, main fuse popped, no smoke or fire.  AAA towed it home but I had to walk as you can't ride in the truck anymore.

Bought a stock battery kit, with the tray and the factory hold-down bracket.  Dead battery current production replacement is now 9", or I'd just get another one. 

Shopping for battery and only finding group 24 batteries that are 9"/228mm in height.  The tallest battery the hold-down bracket will accommodate is 8.25"/210mm.  Group 24 batteries are all acceptable for length and width.

Searched the forums for battery height related posts, found none.

tldr: Looking for a recommendation for a battery that will fit the stock hold-down bracket and battery tray dimensional limitations.

Regards

71 240Z, San Hozay, California

17 minutes ago, kenward1000 said:

the positive terminal welded itself to the polished valve cover. 

Bought a stock battery kit, with the tray and the factory hold-down bracket.

I think we need a picture or two, at least the first one for sure, and maybe some details on where you bought this "kit".  

I've not really seen your problem before so maybe there's simple solution.  But I really want to see a battery welded to a valve cover.  Please.

Wow.  I wonder if there's burnt oil on the inside of the valve cover.  Must have got hot.

That kit looks about like the top bracket I had on mine.  Any chance that there's another hole in the firewall for the slotted tang to fit over?  That would determine your upper limit.  Maybe the tray is thicker than stock.  I'm going to guess that that's the issue.  The tray is probably sourced from a non-Nissan supplier.  Find a thinner tray.

Actually, if the bracket fits the correct hole in the firewall then your only major adjustment is the tray.  The top position is fine-tuning within the length of the slot.

If the battery sits on the tray and you can close the hood without interference, then the firewall hole seems like the fix.  You might check the tray first, because the top bracket looks right.

Edited by Zed Head

3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

By the way, the stock position for the positive terminal is toward the fender, not toward the engine. I have the stock hold-down and 24 series battery fitting without issues.

Please tell me the manufacturer and model number of your battery.

Group 24F is what I’ve always bought. 

https://www.batteryequivalents.com/bci-battery-group-size-chart.html

The stock battery frame internal dimensions are 10-3/8 x 6-15/16.   In my link above that suggests that a 24F is too wide at 10-3/4, and that 24H and T are better at 10-1/4. I’ve never had a problem with a 24F fitting a stock frame, probably a manufacturer specific shape thing, or the max width is at the base, not around the perimeter of the top.

Can’t comment on the correct height, no Z’s in reach at the moment, sorry.

Just spotted a good battery picture in one of the threads here. Kinda shows the stock frame and mounting tab at the firewall.

8B8F63A1-2524-4E14-AB09-45FA8CB07B44.jpeg

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

I've started buying Ever Start batteries from Walmart. $50 plus tax I think, less than $60 I know. Batteries have gone through the roof price wise at least my local Interstate store. 

This is sitting in the original bottom plastic pan? and measures less than 8". FYI only, it's no show car.

20200517_131659.jpg

I've seen posts about the Walmart EverStart Maxx, however from the Walmart website:

Brand
EverStart Maxx
Manufacturer Part Number
MAXX-24
Assembled Product Weight
44.4 lbs
Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
10.20 x 6.80 x 8.90 Inches

So is the published spec wrong or are the current production batteries now taller than your battery?  Guess I have to go to Walmart and measure one.  Thanks for the picture!

1 hour ago, kenward1000 said:

I've seen posts about the Walmart EverStart Maxx, however from the Walmart website:

Brand
EverStart Maxx
Manufacturer Part Number
MAXX-24
Assembled Product Weight
44.4 lbs
Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
10.20 x 6.80 x 8.90 Inches

So is the published spec wrong or are the current production batteries now taller than your battery?  Guess I have to go to Walmart and measure one.  Thanks for the picture!

Mine is the cheaper, less CCA "value". Not the "maxx". I guess that's why it's smaller?