IGNORED

Seats: what's considered restored vs redone?

Dadsun

First 3 pics - This is my current interior.

IMG_20200513_153558.jpg

IMG_20200513_153550.jpg

IMG_20200513_142327.jpg

4th pic: What I think a restored interior would look like.

Screenshot_20200513-201342.png

5th pic: Two seat cover options on eBay, add in New seat foams from California Datsun, etc. 

Screenshot_20200513-201057.png

But, what's considered properly restored? Take the seats I have to an upholstery shop and have them match the console cover? It is faded. I think I would be better off to get the seats sorted out first, then look for someone to dye/color the rest of the interior red to match.

Also have to sort out a redo of the door and window quarter panels.

Edited by Dadsun

'Restored' means whatever you want it to mean.  It all depends on what's important to you.  The factors that typically come into play:

• 'original' vs. 'improved' vs. 'custom' (one person's idea of 'improved' is another person's idea of 'ruined')
  • color match (make the new seats match the faded trim? Or replace the faded trim to match the new seats?)
  • cost (see Item 2)
  • appearance (see 'original' vs ''improved' vs 'custom'
  • manufacturer's warranty
  • ergo comfort (the OE seat design is 'just ok' in this regard.  Some people replace them with Miata seats for this reason.)
  • other comfort issues (leather is nicer than vinyl if you live in a hot-sun region)
  • quality of fit (some replacement covers fit better than others -- although a good upholstery shop can probably overcome this)
  • smell (most prefer leather over vinyl... while others consider the Z' interior's scent-of-vinyl to be part of its charm)
  • durability (I haven't heard any bad reports about the leather covers, but they are stitched and that can sometimes lead to problems.  As most of us know, the outboard upper seat bolster in these cars take a beating.  The lower seat cushion is a high-load area, too.)

It will probably help you most to get advice from our members on what not to buy (and why).  From that point, it's pretty much up to you and whatever you think will make you happy.

Edited by Namerow
fixed missing line space
  • Like 1

Back when I first got my first Z it had an issue with a few tears and broken down bolsters. I took it to a shop who removed the covers and did small repairs plus built up the bolsters. Made a big difference. It maybe another option for you. 
love the White/red colors

don

The bolsters here meaning the underlying metal upper and lower structures?

I don't want to try to repair the current seat covers. I don't think they're original, and they are the ugly (imo) cloth/vinyl combo. Would prefer leather. Definitely need new foam sets. 

The bolsters are the outer upper and lower parts of the seat back and bottom, closest to the door and tunnel,  that try to wrap around you when sitting in the seat. They are just foam & cover material, the metal frame is further inside the seat structure.   If the car is actually driven, as opposed to a garage queen, they tend to take it in the shorts on the driver side as you tend to slide across the seat and brush against the back bolster getting in and out of the car.

This is where higher quality material, leather likely pays off.

Different light sources really affect photographs and I constantly see three different tones in the door panels and tunnel vinyl in your pictures. Are there really different tones or is it all about the same?   As far as panels and vinyl go, They can be painted.  My panels are brown were faded badly.  Black panels seem the most readily available to replace with and I didn't want that  so I went to an automotive paint store and had them match the inside of one of the panels with SEM paint (almost a ginger/brown color). I needed to clean and prep it first,  but they came out great and still look fresh after two years. I did the same thing with the door panels and strut housing vinyls only using custom mixed vinyl spray paint.  My seats were toast when I got the car so I replaced them with new foam and covers.  So, unless you're doing a concours car, I personally don't think there is too much of a penalty for restoring or redoing interiors.

15 minutes ago, gwri8 said:

Different light sources really affect photographs and I constantly see three different tones in the door panels and tunnel vinyl in your pictures. Are there really different tones or is it all about the same?  

Yes, the color really does differ that much throughout the interior.  The original tunnel and strut tower covers are vinyl, correct?  If so, yes, I'm inclined to just move forward with picking my seat covers and then trying to paint the tunnel, tower covers, door panels, plastic interior panels to all match closely with my seat color.

Speaking of door panels, I am going to try to salvage the ones I have, but I saw the $419 set on ZCarDepot yesterday. Pricey. Has anyone had experience with those?

Link: 240z Door Panel Set

Related question: How does one go about removing the door panel without tearing something up? I'm stuck on how to get off the window crank handle and door latch. Has to be a technique I'm missing.

Dadsun,

The door handle requires a special tool to unclip the handle. You slide the tool behind the pivot point of the handle and push the clip partially out.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/window-handle-remover-tool.

The door latch has a plastic cover that has to be carefully pried off. I cracked one of mine.

https://zcarsource.com/handle-cover-insert-240z-260z-280z

After removing the cover, you can see the screw holding the escutcheon in place.

https://zcarsource.com/door-escutcheon-240z-260z-280z

Edited by Jeff Berk