IGNORED

240Z Distributor Questions

rcv

Welp, I just got an email from "NissanPartsDeal" - I should have known from their generic sounding name, but they basically just list every part ever made regardless of whether they have them in stock. I'm betting I could find a NOS OEM '08 Model-T hand crank listed if I bothered looking.

@Captain Obvious I'll take you up on your springs if the offer is still open.  I'll send you a DM with my shipping info and I'll happily paypal you for the shipping.

@Av8ferg I definitely appreciate the offer - I'm going to go against my pack-rat instincts and avoid hoarding springs for now though.  I'll definitely reach back out if I can't make this other set work.

I'm going to order a new breaker plate from ZCarDepot as well as a new set of points and a condensor and hopefully I can Frankenstein this thing to life.  Thanks for all of the help so far everyone!

Welp, I just got an email from "NissanPartsDeal" - I should have known from their generic sounding name, but they basically just list every part ever made regardless of whether they have them in stock. I'm betting I could find a NOS OEM '08 Model-T hand crank listed if I bothered looking.

@Captain Obvious I'll take you up on your springs if the offer is still open.  I'll send you a DM with my shipping info and I'll happily paypal you for the shipping.

@Av8ferg I definitely appreciate the offer - I'm going to go against my pack-rat instincts and avoid hoarding springs for now though.  I'll definitely reach back out if I can't make this other set work.

I'm going to order a new breaker plate from ZCarDepot as well as a new set of points and a condensor and hopefully I can Frankenstein this thing to life.  Thanks for all of the help so far everyone!

Yeah, the FSM I have has two little arrows pointing from the "Governor Spring" label.  Without a second spring one of the weights would just be flopping around in there which would be a really weird design. Plus, I found an extra terminal nut loose in the bottom of the distributor when I pulled it apart, so I think the last person who worked on this thing just wasn't paying attention.

On 5/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, rcv said:

NissanPartsDeal is not a website that is based on any actual in-stock inventory.

It's quite literally a dealership that is listing the Nissan parts catalog online, and all they do is order it for you from their parts department.

If you buy from site like ToyotaPartsDeal.com, which is running the same catalog management database and user interface (and appears on the footer of NissanPartsDeal, because they're linked through a software company/entity somehow), you will most likely get an invoice from an actual Nissan Dealership.

In the case of ToyotaPartsDeal, it's McGeorge Toyota in Richmond, VA.
All the sites that have the same UI appearance all operate the same way.

In fact, most other sites that have the parts catalog Section images and item key-lists with the first 5 digits straight from a manufacturers catalog operate the same way too (though not from the same software supplier). When you order something, they will order it, and then if it's not in stock within any of the national warehouses; they say "sorry, it's backordered / discontinued".

It's like ordering from a dealership with the added cost of shipping.

Just get a refund as soon as possible if that is the case, and then order it from your dealer and ask nicely for a discount. You'll get the same or better pricing.

Though with the current lockdown order in effect, it would be hard to get anything locally; but I'm sure the online dealers are having a bit of a tough time fulfilling dealer-based orders too since they operate under the same circumstances.

Edited by Careless

CourtesyParts.com was the same way.  But they seem to have drifted away from supporting the older cars.  They modified their web site and lost a lot.  I think that there were just a couple of guys running the show there and they got pushed aside.  If you can find the part number it always pays to check your local dealer first.  Success depends on how good the parts department there is.  It varies.

https://www.courtesyparts.com/

Can/will Nissan dealerships actually track down vintage parts?  I never really considered I could walk into my local "Nissan of Van Nuys" and expect them to find me a part for a 50 year old car.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:38 AM, Zed Head said:

Success depends on how good the parts department there is.  It varies.

You won't know until you stop by or call them up.  I had two Nissan dealers in my area, one was terrible, one was great.

14 hours ago, rcv said:

Can/will Nissan dealerships actually track down vintage parts?  I never really considered I could walk into my local "Nissan of Van Nuys" and expect them to find me a part for a 50 year old car.

You would be surprised at what they still have. I know I was. Carburetor parts for my '72, fuel tank sending unit, driver's door mirror, scuff plates for the door sills and on and on. You have to have the part number though. Their computers only go back to '95.

I use this a lot, http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/engine-240z-260z

Also courtesyparts.com but just for part numbers, never bought from them just my local dealership. Usually next day with no shipping charges.