IGNORED

Shifter Rattle

I’ve replaced the bushing in the shifter with a brass bushing to get rid of slop, I noticed that if I’m in high RPM, 4-5k in 3rd, there’s quite a lot of vibration coming from the shifter itself, could this be due to the brass bushing? Or should I be inspecting the mount for play? 

im trying to reduce the vibrations coming from the car, perhaps my engine mounts should be inspected as well. I switched over to an RT diff mount and it made quite a lot of difference in the rear end. 

Can you feel shifter movement in 3rd gear at lower RPM?  Put slight pressure on it forward and backward.  The shifter has a fairly direct path to the third gear coupler and gears.  With the brass bushings a transmission guy could probably tell quite a bit about the transmission's condition through the shift lever.

Could also just be that the bushing o the bottom of the shift lever is worn, letting the lever wiggle more.

Edited by Zed Head

I’ve been quite shocked how much transmission noise came and went as I changed bushings, shift knob size and weight, shift lever lengths, etc over the years. A LOT of noise and vibration comes from the trans, made worse I’m sure by internal wear and slop.

A friend of mine related an interesting story that shows that Nissan recognized this as an issue. First we know about the ZX shifter bushings that have the plastic bushing plates with the embedded spring to absorb vibration, and with at some or all of the C type shifters, if you foolishly cut the shifter rod off to lengthen, or shorten, or change the angle, you find that the shift rod is actually a composite of a small internal metal rod that connects into the transmission selector hole, then a laminated rubber coating over that, then the outer metal shift rod that you see and feel. Makes welding really fun, and you will lose all that nice isolation....

Ill try to get a video of what I'm talking about after work today. I noticed that there are a lot of vibrations in the car, it was after i got into my buddies 92 e34 m5 last night, very smooth and stable ride..

Crap now i gotta show my messy car :blink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Could also just be that the bushing o the bottom of the shift lever is worn, letting the lever wiggle more.

Over the years it seems like someone posted about packing that area with grease and it helped more than they expected. I dunno? Lots of reading on here. LOL

Check the hole that pin goes through too. It could be all wallowed out. 

• 11 months later...
On 4/1/2020 at 11:49 PM, heyitsrama said:

I’ve replaced the bushing in the shifter with a brass bushing to get rid of slop, I noticed that if I’m in high RPM, 4-5k in 3rd, there’s quite a lot of vibration coming from the shifter itself, could this be due to the brass bushing? Or should I be inspecting the mount for play? 

im trying to reduce the vibrations coming from the car, perhaps my engine mounts should be inspected as well. I switched over to an RT diff mount and it made quite a lot of difference in the rear end. 

Hi guys, any update on this? I've got a similar issue, lots of wiggle from the shifter in 3rd. Only while driving, nothing with clutch disengaged. Transmission was recently rebuilt by a reputable shop.

@Geoff's 240z can you get a video?

Im still inspecting this issue, I ordered some OEM bushings for the shifter, i hope its not the brass bushing that I made that is causing the issue. Currently the rattle is mostly gone, but the gearbox pops out of 5th if i take it over 95mph. I don't like that at all, can be dangerous.

I also plan on replacing the u-joints, which i should probably start today >.>

Also wheel bearings.. **** i should have done this when i had it all apart.

Edited by heyitsrama