IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

I hate to keep bringing up Governor Cuomo, it seems partisan.  But every time I see the guy speak he says something new that makes sense and adds to all of the other sensible things that he's said.   His planning builds and adapts as time goes on.  And the overall plan makes sense.

He's on CNN now, I just saw him on MSNBC.   Wouldn't be a surprise to see him on Fox next.

Ridiculous, CNN brought on Robert Kraft the owner of the Patriots and the massage parlor weirdo to talk about how he sent a plane to China to bring back a bunch of masks.  The rich guys have to see their faces out there...

Edited by Zed Head

6 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

The Navy just relieved my buddy who is the Captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt because he sounded the alarm when he had over 300 sailers positive for COVID-19. This pisses me off. I know no more capable guy to lead a Nuclear Aircraft Cartier. The Navy is always more worried about its image than it’s people. This is one of the reasons I retired. The more senior you get the more you have to kiss the ring. People are too afraid to speak truth to power because it would hurt their career. He did the right thing and they crapped on him.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0OdhtrMT?pd=04Goq6lT&s=i4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can just follow the chain up.  What's scary is he's another West Point guy.  West Point's reputation is dropping rapidly.  No offense to anyone who attended, but this guy and Pompeo are destroying it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Esper

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/02/esper-coronavirus-defense-162403

"Esper's approach was on display Tuesday night, when he acknowledged on national television he had not closely read a letter from an aircraft carrier's commanding officer who was pleading with leadership for help and supplies amid a coronavirus outbreak on his ship.

"I'm going to rely on the Navy chain of command to go out there to assess the situation," he said on "CBS Evening News."

Edit 2 much later.  Just came across this - 

"A row has erupted in the US over the sacking of the commander of the US Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier, which is docked in Guam. Captain Brett Crozier had written a scathing letter asking for stronger measures to control a coronavirus outbreak onboard his warship, which was subsequently leaked to the media.

Acting US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said the commander exercised poor judgment. Modly said the letter was sent through the chain of command but Crozier did not safeguard it from being released outside the chain.

“He sent it out pretty broadly and in sending it out pretty broadly, he did not take care to ensure that it couldn’t be leaked and that’s part of his responsibility,” Modly said.

“It raised alarm bells unnecessarily,” he added."

Edited by Zed Head

I believe there is an overly simplistic view of how things work at this level. Everyone assumes that you tell the joint chiefs to "jump" and they say "how high?". Having spent some time around general officers I suspect you have to stay out of some of these affairs. I suspect the decision to remove this captain was made long before it reached the executive office.  The executive office may have chosen not to interfere to avoid ruffling feathers. Pretty much, all of the people at this level are powerful,  confident and opinionated (inside and outside of the military). Right now you can't afford to alienate them, when you may need to depend on them in a few weeks for who knows what. Its a delicate balance.

I found it sad he was relieved for trying to take care of his men. I wondered how the letter got out. I haven't seen anything definitive on whether he released it or not. If he released it; he had to know he was done. If a 3rd party released it, then thats too bad. My first question to Shelley when I read the article, was does he lose his command? No branch of the military likes to be embarrassed or called out in public.

I think that you're saying that Trump made the decision, because he heard about the letter?  Trump has feathers?  So, was Esper lying about not having read the letter or was he really just unaware?  You can't argue about Pompeo though.  I think that guy cheated his way to first in class.  Had to, he just doesn't ooze smartness.

This is about the opposite of the cases many years ago where the Navy ships  were running in to cargo ships in the night.  He should be receiving commendations.  Maybe he will with the next administration.  Good luck to him.

Edit - not to keep "last posting" the thread.  But this looks, overall, like somebody who had tried all of the "approved" routes, but knew, because he was an intelligent leader, that nothing was happening or going to happen, so made the difficult choice to sacrifice his career for his men.  Just another example of destruction under the current administration.  Doesn't have to be direct.  Just takes a touch.

Edited by Zed Head

19 minutes ago, Patcon said:

No branch of the military likes to be embarrassed or called out in public.

He probably could have gone about it differently - like having crew members notify their congress representatives or the IG.  That might have been covered and protected under the "Military Whistleblower Act.

I'm sure he felt he was doing it for the greater good.  As a retired Air Force officer, I saw a few similar instances during my active duty years.  His superiors view what he did as making a bad decision and you can't have someone who makes bad decisions in charge of an aircraft carrier.

To his credit, he can say, "Mission accomplished".

Dennis

• Like 1

And more.  Australia probably knows China better than the US does (or says they do).  They were aware of China's problem very early., apparently.  Like our intelligence should have been. - 

"Australia's chief medical officer says global cases could be '5-10 times higher' than reported

Australia’s Chief Medical Officer Dr Brendan Murphy has said worldwide cases of Covid-19 could be “five to 10 times” higher than the one million known currently. Murphy says the only numbers he has total faith in are the Australian numbers, because “we have the highest testing rate in the world” (Trump has also claimed this mantle).

I think China is in a really difficult position. They did clamp down incredibly hard and they stopped transmission. But their population is not immune. They still have a lot of people in their population and they are, obviously, trying very hard to prevent second waves. I think they have been pretty transparent but as I said, I’m only confident about our numbers. I’m certainly not confident even the numbers out of the US are much higher than being reported because nobody else in the world has been doing testing like we have. Nobody else in the world got on to all those original cases out of Wuhan in January and contained them. That’s why we are now dealing with what we know rather than a huge community transmission that happened all through February in countries like Italy and the US. We’re on top of our cases. But we still have a long way to go."

Time to shift from making silly Datsun products for a while to making masks for my famly’s use. I have two kids that are active on the front lines and one of them is not being supplied with any PPE (airline).  

I have a great design prototype made from (still) readily available and fairly in-expensive materials that are already designed to filter bacteria and viruses. Homemade masks are not very effective if

1.they don’t fit your face properly, 

2. don’t have proper air flow through the material (will force air around the mask seal if not, think your rad cooling problem when air can get around it)

3. aren’t made of a material that can actually filter out virus particles. Yes, something is MUCH better than nothing, but...

I’ll share the details when we refine the design and fit later today. If you don’t have a sewing machine, get one. You don’t need it, but it makes it easier to make them. Hot glue or needle and thread are just fine as well.

Got all my ideas here. Very comprehensive

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3