IGNORED

Early vs. Late Series I 240Z's

Randalla

I'm interested to hear from owners of late 240Z series I cars (above 19,000). I have a late Series I car that has some components consistent with earlier cars, but some components that are from later cars. My car is a clean, pretty original1971, with a build date of 1/71. The car has the correct series I steering wheel, c-pillar badges, vertical heating elements in the hatch glass, etc. There are, however a few things that seem odd and inconsistent with the earlier cars. Though the car has the correct hatch glass, it does not have the vents below. The valve cover is not the 2400 version but rather the OHC version, and the air cleaner has the heat riser and the flapper. Certainly some things may have been changed over the years, but it's also possible the late cars were built with some series II parts. I'm trying to determine what was original to the car and what may have been changed. Can anyone else that has a late series I car weigh in?  

I can help you with one thing in particular.  If your 'C-Pillar' badges are 240Z emblems, the hatch has vents below the glass.  If your badges are round and you have holes in the side of the 'C-Pillar', then the hatch does not have vents.

For starters I would consult the following:

https://zhome.com/

A lot of time and effort was put in to create this valuable reference.

This will give you a good baseline on what is original equipment at a given time of the production series.  I believe canvassing the community will produce conflicting information, given how many of surviving vehicles have changed hands over the years, and was at the mercy on what was available at your local Datsun parts counter when a replacement was needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

I can help you with one thing in particular.  If your 'C-Pillar' badges are 240Z emblems, the hatch has vents below the glass.  If your badges are round and you have holes in the side of the 'C-Pillar', then the hatch does not have vents.

That's the clue that Terrapin left in his thread, I assume, with the first title about a **73**.  The badges and the vents are in the pictures.

Now that's helpful and interesting, thanks Hoover. Our cars are 500 units apart with the same later air cleaners and valve covers, at least. I'm interested to know if anyone has seen a vertical glass hatch that's not vented, that history supports was factory installed. Seems odd that it would be mismatched unless the hatch was replaced at some point for some reason. 

My 2/71 HLS30 23471    IZCC #7130
had: 

Vertical defrost 

side vents not hatch vents

OHC Valve cover

Fuel door latch/knob

missing air cleaner and radio when I acquired it 

seat belts different from earlier cars
interior PS rear panel for smaller overflow tank

early seats

240260280, very nice transformation after clean up. 7tooZ, I think given your VIN#, you may have a very early Series II car. I believe the series one cars ended somewhere around 21,000. The way it's equipped would seem to suggest that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Ahem...

Home market - early quarter emblem-1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randalla said:

Now that's helpful and interesting, thanks Hoover. Our cars are 500 units apart with the same later air cleaners and valve covers, at least. I'm interested to know if anyone has seen a vertical glass hatch that's not vented, that history supports was factory installed. Seems odd that it would be mismatched unless the hatch was replaced at some point for some reason. 

There were thousands of such cars. I have one in my garage.

Isn't all of this just more evidence that the 'Series 1' and 'Series 2' etc vernacular is just too grey around the edges to be reliable? Attempts to subdivide into 'Series 1.5' and 'Series 2.5' etc just make it all look even more rubbery.

The BIG difference is solid quarter/vented tailgate type bodyshell vs vented quarter/solid tailgate type bodyshell, and the rest was a moving feast of details depending on production date, target market and sub-variant type.

• Like 2