chaseincats

1978 5-speed transmission Tail-Housing Removal?

Hi guys,

Refurbishing my '78 5-speed transmission and having a tough time removing the shifter rod from the tail housing.  The (what looks like) outcrop from the shifter rod (shown in picture) refuses to separate from the shifter rod even after we take the nut and washer out.

Is there a trick to getting this out?

-chase

unnamed.jpg

So you have removed the wedge bolt that passes through the rod?

Removing that. Wedge bolt is  a trick indeed. Best way is to drill a 21/64” (will explain in a minute) in the case to the left of the pin (in the picture) so that you insert a punch and drive it out. Use heat on the pin area to help break it free. You also have to support the outer end of the rod so when you hit the bolt with the punch, it doesn’t just flex the rod. Chunk of wood between rod and case will do it. 

Then tap that hole for 1/8NPT and plug it. Guess what size hole is needed for 1/8NPT tapping...

• Like 2

Here's a drawing of the part.  It's a wedge bolt like the kind that holds the pedals on to an upper-end bicycle.  Wedging the part #12 against the case and twisting the rod might loosen the bolt.  But, since it's a wedge shape, it will be wedged in there pretty tight.  Wedges are powerful things.

image.png

• Like 1

I went through this over summer.. the final solution was this attachment and buying a new wedge pin
    b4fb1392a0905634136918d4329a860c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF it had been a later ZX with the reverse lock out it would be easier, but with out it, I would use my induction heater wrapped around the body to heat it up, then a cold spray on the nut/bolt that sticks out. Try to figure out a way to support that lever/rod body so it will not move then work in a tapping tool to rap at the nut/bolt. Patience will be rewarded. get silly and you will just make it worse.

Unless it's broke don't mess with it! Flush flush from the shift lever area and then lubricate with a fine oil. There is a rubber O-ring in there so be careful what cleaner you use.

4 minutes ago, ZBLUE1 said:

Unless it's broke don't mess with it! Flush flush from the shift lever area and then lubricate with a fine oil. There is a rubber O-ring in there so be careful what cleaner you use.

That is a good point.  The only reason to remove the rod would be to replace the o-ring.  Were it mine, I'd dribble some oil down the shaft and see if the o-ring leaks.  If not, it doesn't need replacing.

Welcome to the site ZBLUE1.

Yep, the reason we're trying to get it out is it leaks trans oil out of the shifter area.

Besides the o-ring on the inside, the transmission diagram is showing an oil seal goes on the outside of the trans (between the housing and the part where the shift rod enters the housing), is that correct?

1 minute ago, chaseincats said:

the transmission diagram is showing an oil seal goes on the outside of the trans (between the housing and the part where the shift rod enters the housing), is that correct?

What's the number?

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Too far!   I meant here, so we can see it.

image.png

Ah, I took a look at the chart I was looking at and the seal is for the end plug or something?

576df85717c9b_19785speedcontrolrod.PNG.62337ca73fe07c5e22cc29746d9dd1e0.png

Actually that's a good find.  Maybe that's the one that leaks, not #22.  It would be #19 in the parts manual.  There's an o-ring, and an oil seal.  

It looks like the end of the striker rod should come off, exposing that oil seal.  Maybe you can disassemble it without removing the rod.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/5-speed

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Actually that's a good find.  Maybe that's the one that leaks, not #22.  It would be #19 in the parts manual.  There's an o-ring, and an oil seal.  

It looks like the end of the striker rod should come off, exposing that oil seal.  Maybe you can disassemble it without removing the rod.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/5-speed

Ya I was thinking that might be the culprit/would need to come out.

Anyone have any experience getting that out to change the seal?

There's a part with no number that looks like a screw.  Maybe?

image.png

10 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

There's a part with no number that looks like a screw.  Maybe?

image.png

Also is it possible to even get that rod out without having to remove/destroy that pressed-in plug at the end (#21)?

Just now, Zed Head said:

You're there...

Right now I'm actually the middle-man.  The guy whose working on it is about a half hour away and we're spitballing on how to get these seals put in.

I'm going to see the part tomorrow

Looks like it might be a rivet.  I'll bet you could grind the head off of it and the end would come off.  Nissan never planned for this much disassembly, I'll bet,

Might be some good stuff in the thread I found when I was looking for the picture.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/transmission-stuck-in-first-gear-but-shifter-is-in-neutral-t602912.html

image.png

• Like 1

Update: Got it out with Dave's help.  For those who want to know you put the housing in a vice and tap on the rod end gently and it will push the plug out undamaged and can be re-seated afterwords.

• Like 1

Are you going to take the shaft apart to get to oil seal #19?  I got rid of my pile of 5 speed parts or I'd have done it already.

Nobody has really dug in to that possibility as another source of the oil in the shifter cavity.

7 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Are you going to take the shaft apart to get to oil seal #19?  I got rid of my pile of 5 speed parts or I'd have done it already.

Nobody has really dug in to that possibility as another source of the oil in the shifter cavity.

yep thats the plan!