IGNORED

1978 5-speed transmission Tail-Housing Removal?

chaseincats

Hi guys,

Refurbishing my '78 5-speed transmission and having a tough time removing the shifter rod from the tail housing.  The (what looks like) outcrop from the shifter rod (shown in picture) refuses to separate from the shifter rod even after we take the nut and washer out.

Is there a trick to getting this out?

-chase

unnamed.jpg

Removing that. Wedge bolt is  a trick indeed. Best way is to drill a 21/64” (will explain in a minute) in the case to the left of the pin (in the picture) so that you insert a punch and drive it out. Use heat on the pin area to help break it free. You also have to support the outer end of the rod so when you hit the bolt with the punch, it doesn’t just flex the rod. Chunk of wood between rod and case will do it. 

Then tap that hole for 1/8NPT and plug it. Guess what size hole is needed for 1/8NPT tapping...

• Like 2

Here's a drawing of the part.  It's a wedge bolt like the kind that holds the pedals on to an upper-end bicycle.  Wedging the part #12 against the case and twisting the rod might loosen the bolt.  But, since it's a wedge shape, it will be wedged in there pretty tight.  Wedges are powerful things.

image.png

• Like 1

IF it had been a later ZX with the reverse lock out it would be easier, but with out it, I would use my induction heater wrapped around the body to heat it up, then a cold spray on the nut/bolt that sticks out. Try to figure out a way to support that lever/rod body so it will not move then work in a tapping tool to rap at the nut/bolt. Patience will be rewarded. get silly and you will just make it worse.

4 minutes ago, ZBLUE1 said:

Unless it's broke don't mess with it! Flush flush from the shift lever area and then lubricate with a fine oil. There is a rubber O-ring in there so be careful what cleaner you use.

That is a good point.  The only reason to remove the rod would be to replace the o-ring.  Were it mine, I'd dribble some oil down the shaft and see if the o-ring leaks.  If not, it doesn't need replacing.

Welcome to the site ZBLUE1.

Yep, the reason we're trying to get it out is it leaks trans oil out of the shifter area.

Besides the o-ring on the inside, the transmission diagram is showing an oil seal goes on the outside of the trans (between the housing and the part where the shift rod enters the housing), is that correct?