IGNORED

Ceramic coated vs straight stainless for header and exhaust system

jtay

I have picked up a very original 72 240 and the header and exhaust are rusted pretty bad.  I want to replace but have questions.  If you had a choice to go with the MSA ceramic system or the zstory street stainless system which would you choose?  The MSA ceramic says it will be cooler by 40%.  MSA being cheaper is a plus.

MSA https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic19d/15-6001CH

Thermal Coating:
This header comes with a highly durable and effective Aerospace Thermal Barrier Ceramic or TBC coating, which is good up to 1300 degrees fahrenheit. The satin "polished" silver finish coats both the inside and outside of the header. This does a number of things. First, it cuts radiated heat by approximately 40%. Not only does this help to keep your under hood rubbers and plastics from drying out, it also lowers the temperature of the fuel and air which translates into increased performance. 

ZStory  https://www.datsun-zstory.com/echappements/headers/headers-street-sport/

Thanks in advance.

I've had the MSA header,   meh, the stock engine doesn't get all that hot anyway but maybe in your part of the world you have to take that into consideration. If you do a search I don't think you'll find a lot posts saying how wonderful the MSA header is.

If you search ZStory you will find many posts praising the beautiful sounds it makes, how well it lets the engine breath and of course how beautiful it is.  Welcome to the forum by the way, we would all love to see your very original 240.

• Like 4

The ceramic coating works well - no doubt. I am still impressed after years how well the coating has held up and it helps beat the heat. I personally don’t like MSA as a business, but the header works . I’ve heard some issues with the flange and some folks were having issues with them sealing . 

Not wishing to divert the thread, what issues have you found with MSA (but if you don’t wish to post publicly then I totally understand). Except for the annoyance e of having to wait for a postage quote, I’ve only had positive experiences to date.

Back on the thread topic: what’s been bad about the MSA header? I had one before going over to the Z/story one and I thought it was pretty good for power and the low to mid range on the L28 and good all round on my old L26. The sound was also nice with a 2.5” pipe back to a turbo muffler but that setup did drone on the motorway. Having said that I found it was leaking on the L28 ...

4eab0a565ba3d9c1afbde0005e0b7510.jpg5cc150133f976e92aa1c2d8b16a9b990.jpg

I’m not defending MSA - just curious as to other experiences.

Also this is a photo I do like sharing: Race/Sport header meets MSA ...

cef1367a96333e79908d721af9c27712.jpg

I have installed several MSA systems on stock motors. It needs a resonator. My best recommendation is to go to a 2.25 or 2.5 pipe with a resonator and a magnaflow flow through muffler.  
the Zstory system I have is a bit aggressive on WOT above 4500 RPM. very mellow at cruising speeds in 2500 to 3700 RPM.  
I have been using ceramic coated manifold  and parts for over 20years. Currently I have a stock manifold that is ceramic coated matched to a stock down tube converted to to 2.5 in pipe ceramic coated mated to the Zstory exhaust system with the resonator and a JDM muffler. Pretty happy with it. 
I abandoned the Zstory street header because of the proximity to the rear SU Carb. the race header interfered with the frame on my car. 
I think you will find that a ceramic coated header is quieter in the engine bay and should flow better and less heat. 
hope this helps PS I lone Vclamps 

C67474A0-E211-43AB-AAAB-A9466E57463F.jpeg

Edited by 7tooZ

I have the MSA coated header, 2.5" full exhaust on my 280 and 240.  280 had a slight leak and needed a resonator, now it sounds great.  2.4 motor sealed great.  I love the sound of the smaller motor, no resonator.  Very "raspy" sound.

MSA sends their headers to be coated.  The coating company sends them back in a single box, seems like it's close by? but then MSA was sending them across the country in the same box.  We brought this up and the problem was recognized and then corrected.

Here's the coating company in Santa Anna, CA. http://www.embeeperformance.com/

MSA is located in Orange County, CA. too.  They wrap the $^!# out of them now FYI. LOL

Here's what I received and sorta of started the whole thing.  Joseph at MSA was great helping sort it out.  

20150309_103320.jpg 

Edited by siteunseen

I do like that race sport header ! That’s a ceramic coat on the race sport ? 

No sir, that is the Race/Sport in her birthday suit. A thing of beauty. The MSA header in the same pic is ceramic coated (at a vast expense by my local place in the UK). The coating was mainly to reduce engine bay temps. I believe if you want to do that and have it work properly, you need the insides done too.

2 hours ago, AK260 said:

No sir, that is the Race/Sport in her birthday suit. A thing of beauty. The MSA header in the same pic is ceramic coated (at a vast expense by my local place in the UK). The coating was mainly to reduce engine bay temps. I believe if you want to do that and have it work properly, you need the insides done too.

It would be a shame to cover up the natural SS, but the ceramic really does help with underhood temps 

• Like 1

Oh I so agree! Sadly I’ve had to cover up the S/S with a diy aluminium heat shield going as I have a very hot engine bay and really don’t like the idea of fuel above hot manifold.

As it happens I now get condensation on the carb domes after a spirited drive and they feel “fridge cold” to the touch as opposed to the old hot feel. Also a lot less fuel vaporisation issues idling in traffic on hot days.

• Like 3