IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

27 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

And you guys are quoting six digit serial numbers.  Nissan included.  They were five digit serial numbers up 120001 in July 72.

Chris, I'd say they were five digit serial number up to 100000 - -  HLS30 100095 had a date of Mfg. of 08/72  and the highest VIN for a 72 Model we have found so far is #101398 in Portugal. 

48 minutes ago, Carl Beck said:

I certainly did not coin the term - I’m not that OLD!  

Yes you are!!!  Ha, ha!  I'm catching up to you Carl.  I certainly didn't mean anything derogatory.  I was reminiscing back to the e-mail blog days.

Based on the Service Bulletin describing the "late model", it is very easy to see how this can be described by "series".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

This all makes sense now. Nissan called them the S30 Series, based on that we have the 1st Series, 2nd Series, 3rd Series and 4th Series of the S30 Model. Easy to understand how it got changed to Series 1, Series 2 etc. over the years.

But it clashes with the fact that Nissan used the word SERIES to denote specific groups of sub variants, hence 510-series, C10-series, B110-series etc etc, as portrayed by my factory service manual lineup photo up-thread. 

The whole point of Nissan using the term S30-series at launch was that they considered each of the variants at launch (and therefore through concept, design, engineering and production) to be part of a series. Hence 'base model' is S30, joined by S30-S, PS30, PS30-SB, HLS30, HLS30U/N/V, HS30U etc.

Look through any of Nissan's Series line-ups and you will see the same pattern of use.

31 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

But it clashes with the fact that Nissan used the word SERIES to denote specific groups of sub variants, hence 510-series, C10-series, B110-series etc etc, as portrayed by my factory service manual lineup photo up-thread. 

The whole point of Nissan using the term S30-series at launch was that they considered each of the variants at launch (and therefore through concept, design, engineering and production) to be part of a series. Hence 'base model' is S30, joined by S30-S, PS30, PS30-SB, HLS30, HLS30U/N/V, HS30U etc.

Look through any of Nissan's Series line-ups and you will see the same pattern of use.

Just another example of those honorable Japanese gentleman at Nissan stretching the truth....like they did with the power figures for the engines! Seems to be the pattern of use to their official statements.

9 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Just another example of those honorable Japanese gentleman at Nissan stretching the truth....like they did with the power figures for the engines! Seems to be the pattern of use to their official statements.

What's not true? All the factory documentation says that S30 is the Series. 

Export chassis tags say "Max HP at X RPM". Hardly a lie, is it? If you're looking for stretched truth try the people who misinterpret the figures.

7 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

I think you may be describing a universal truth about most marketing departments. Based on my experience, no one was better at lying about power numbers than the famous Italian Marques of the same era.  There’s a pretty good reason why Lamborghini vaulted all the build sheets (with their dyno numbers)  for customer cars- can you imagine the PR nightmare that would ensue when your 325BHP Miura showed 275-and-change on the factory dyno?