IGNORED

center console 1971 question

clocatelli

Location of the three screw holes near the rear of the console will tell you  a lot on which console came in that car. Has your car been converted to a five speed if so I have seen where the later console was used to allow for the change in the shifter location.

a picture of the console you have and the screw hole location would help. 

D

6 hours ago, clocatelli said:

i think i got it.  the below pic is where i need to be.  What is the top switch suppose to do circled below:

6 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

I think someone added that, as I'm not aware of any Z from the factory having two switches there. It's normally either a blank, or a cig lighter. I believe only 72-73 Zs had the cog lighter, and your '71 should have had a blank. 

Agree.  However, my 70 Z`s dash came with that blank socket and I think it makes the dash look unfinished and suggests a base-trim model with missing options.  For that reason, I bought a second toggle-type flasher switch, installed it in the blank socket and then wired it to become the ON-OFF switch for a set of fog lights.  Given that Nissan included the wiring for fog lights in the stock Dash harness and originally put the cigarette lighter in the centre console, I like to think that I've just tied up some loose ends that Nissan left behind.  I wonder whether fog lights were standard equipment in certain markets (Europe? Japan?) and the blank socket was indeed filled in with a second toggle switch (just like I've done).

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

Agree.  However, my 70 Z`s dash came with that blank socket and I think it makes the dash look unfinished and suggests a base-trim model with missing options.  For that reason, I bought a second toggle-type flasher switch, installed it in the blank socket and then wired it to become the ON-OFF switch for a set of fog lights.  Given that Nissan included the wiring for fog lights in the stock Dash harness and originally put the cigarette lighter in the centre console, I like to think that I've just tied up some loose ends that Nissan left behind.  I wonder whether fog lights were standard equipment in certain markets (Europe? Japan?) and the blank socket was indeed filled in with a second toggle switch (just like I've done).

I believe this is correct. At least that has been my understanding

• 3 weeks later...

To recap, I have a 5/71.  Even though it is not a series 1 car, it came the series 1 center console (your second picture above).  I must confess I installed the later style console (your first pic) temporarily because I have the later style transmission which slightly relocated the shift lever.  Installing the later console was an easy fix. Your car may have had the same changes.  Your car should have the series 1 console, series 1 radio and series 1 transmission even though you have the vents in the c pillars and not the deck lid.  I think Sept '71 was the cutoff (?).

Regarding the second switch installed in the blank, I bought an early series 1 that had the same switch.  Someone installed an aftermarket radio and they installed that switch and connected the power antenna to it. 

The blank recess in the early dash was indeed for an optional fog lamps switch. It has been discussed several times on classiczcars in the past. Kats in particular posted some good data on the fog lamps and dedicated switches themselves.

Here's a factory RHD dash schematic from November 1969. The arrow is pointing to the switch recess and says 'Fog Lamps Switch (Optional):

SS-Z1-69.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

The blank recess in the early dash was indeed for an optional fog lamps switch. It has been discussed several times on classiczcars in the past. Kats in particular posted some good data on the fog lamps and dedicated switches themselves.

Here's a factory RHD dash schematic from November 1969. The arrow is pointing to the switch recess and says 'Fog Lamps Switch (Optional):

SS-Z1-69.jpg

I like the non-Spinal Tap oil pressure gauge that only goes to "10"... perhaps Bo Derek would appreciate it.

• Like 2