IGNORED

FS5W71B Rebuild Thread - Tips tricks and discoveries!

zKars

Quick word on parts availability, in this case my badly needed 1-2 shift fork

Note the list of other Nissan vehicles at the bottom that have a 32805-Q0101

Also encouraging is the Availability column. Apparently they have more than 1, the other site wasn't quite as encouraging. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Decent quality parts blow up diagrams for the FS5W71B with the included source URL's where you can go to get detailed part numbers for every little itty bitty piece, as well as a merged in part number listing from EuroDat. 

trans gear and shift drawing_Land.pdf

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

Okay, got a 4 speed opened up.

Short answer about the fork interchange 4 vs 5 sp. No.   

However, the forks are the right "size" for the selector sleeve, and the rods fit through the fork holes correctly, BUT the roll pins are in different locations, both rotational and longitudinally. So you "could" interchange them IF you re-drill the rods for the pins in the right place. Simple right? They aren't hardened or anything, right? BTW the roll pins are smaller OD on the 4 speed. And since the 4 speed forks are steel, you "could" cut the rod part off and "move" it to the right place for the roll pin on the 5sp rod then weld it back on!   

Short answer no, but in a pinch, you know race day, car broke, final race of the season, if we could just finish the race, we get first overall, then yes, you can make it work.....

You know the "C" type trans are more or less the same inside too.... Maybe their forks are backward compatible.

You're going to make me take a C type apart, aren't you?

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zKars said:

4 speed

Looks there are two different 4 speeds, and two different 5 speeds.  Parts 5 and 6 respectively.  There's overlap.  Looks like you got mismatched years, maybe.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/4-speed/from-sep-71

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/5-speed

On 11/30/2019 at 8:22 AM, zKars said:

Can't imagine that the shifter is the cause of not being able to get to 5th. They all work the same way. Would be a hoot if that was the actual problem. if the geometry of the shifter below the pin were a bit short and couldn't quite push it all the way in.....

I won't be able to diagnose that particular 5sp until spring when I yard it out and exchange it for one of freshly rebuilt ones.  I could give the guy a few different shifter styles to try and see if one of them magically works. 

I can attest that on my 1978 5 speed transmission you have to have the correct shifter or 5th is a no go.

I chased my tail trying to find out my issue. I was using my 4 speed shifter. There is a difference between the two.

Completely solve the issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gundee said:

I can attest that on my 1978 5 speed transmission you have to have the correct shifter or 5th is a no go.

I chased my tail trying to find out my issue. I was using my 4 speed shifter. There is a difference between the two.

Completely solve the issue.

Well there's definitive proof. I will grab my collection of shifters and go try some and see if we can get that sucker in 5th!  I have some of those ZX shifters that have the plastic center section with the springs where the pin goes through. There certainly are differences in the pin to end of shifter ball/nylon bushing that sits in the shifter selector rod hole.

Yup, that tip has to get deep enough into the hole and then the tip has to move far enough back to get the rod back far enough. Needs the right length tip for sure.

Out of all the 5 speed swaps I've done, to have never run across this before is down right astounding. Just another example of something new to learn every day.

Edited by zKars

• zKars changed the title to FS5W71B Rebuild Thread - Tips tricks and discoveries!