IGNORED

Is there a list for fasteners?

grannyknot

I have a buddy who is restoring a 72/240, he bought the car as a shell and the rest of it was in boxes, he thinks 30-40% of the fasteners are gone and he is trying to figure out what is missing. I can help him some but he wants to have enough of each type of fastener on hand, does anyone know of some kind a list that would state how many of each size is needed to complete the car?

Thanks,

Chris

I don't remember seeing a list but I would love to see a master list of fasteners. Maybe a tech article with pictures to make it easier to know you had the right fastener where. Rich might be the right guy for this. Since he's done it numerous times and I'm sure he is very good at documentation

3 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Nissan provided the details in the parts manual, all the details are there. Even the part number has a code that will tell you the specs for each fastener.

Are you referring to either of these links?  I'm not seeing any info on fasteners.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/905795/Datsun-240z-S30-Series.html?page=40#manual

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978

Edited by grannyknot

Courtesy of an unfinished project I still intend to do when I enlisted the incredible help of Jim Karst @zKars 

Jim compiled this 18 page .pdf of photos with description of the number required, size, thread pitch and length for many of the fasteners as removed from a 12/70 240Z (if I remember correctly).

2 large boxes with altogether about 60 lbs. of parts.

s30_Hardware_pictures.pdf

Some techie may be able to open the .pdf and display them in a sticky post for easier access on this site. alas I am too challenged to do it myself. :unsure:

Edited by Zup
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here are a couple of partial 'master' lists that I found online somewhere several years ago (sorry, no names kept so I can't credit the authors). 

Warning:  This is an executable file, so be sure to scan it with your anti-virus software before opening.  It should be clean, but you never know.

If you feel really ambitious, you could transport Jim K's notes and pictorial info into the 'Owner 1' list and create a true 'Master List'.  

S30 Fasteners - Master Lists.xlsx

• Like 2

Thanks Zup for sharing that picture library I built back then, pretty much forgot I had done that.  I seem to remember a wish to build an app that uses the parts fiche database in a spread sheet so you can click on a part and get a real life picture of it, starting with the hardware pictures in that file. Somewhere I realized how a big a job that was and you know....

I have a couple of other files I guess I should share. 

Like my wish to build a reference document that shows all the variations between parts over the years. How many times have "we" had to explain "again' that 77-78 doors aren't like 74-76 doors aren't like 70-73 doors. Again, large effort, but I've been blessed over time to have examples on hand of all the varieties of fuel rails, and consoles, vinyl, and gauges, etc etc. that would make this possible, just not the co-ordinated effort of taking and organizing the pictures and then building the website or populating a massive "one of these things is not like the other" or similar CZCC Topic.

Anybody got a smart tech savvy young'en they can lend me for a year?   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Granny car parts manual is what you want, gives the part number, item description and number used. The part  number has all the info on the fasteners, you just need the code to decipher them.

This will help, http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=NES_Part_Numbers#1-_Bolts Applies to the 1200 but pretty much the same for all Nissan vehicles. Worls for the 240Z, I used it to sort out all the fasteners for my cars.

Here's an example: 

Example: 240Z  machine screw for the crankcase mesh filter cover, number 25 in the diagram http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/engine-280z/cylinder-block

08310-61214

•  
    • 08=standardize hardware prefix
    • 31=Machine screw, Pan head
    • 06=6mm diameter (M6)
    • 12=12mm length
    • 1= Zinc cadmium coated
    • 4= filler to complete ten digits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:
  • 08=standardize hardware prefix
  • 31=Machine screw, Pan head
  • 06=6mm diameter (M6)
  • 12=12mm length
  • 1= Zinc cadmium coated
  • 4= filler to complete ten digits

Very cool.  And all this time I thought they were just random numbers generated by some sort chronological ordering system.  I wonder if this means that all of the parts numbers can be deciphered in a similar way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Namerow said:

Very cool.  And all this time I thought they were just random numbers generated by some sort chronological ordering system.  I wonder if this means that all of the parts numbers can be deciphered in a similar way.

Seems I have a little macro building to do a bit of parsing on a few "08" parts numbers and fill a few new columns with some details!

Then remove all the 08 part numbers to a separate sheet.

Swore I'd spend less computer time after retiring.  Oh well....