Av8ferg

L28 full rebuild assembly

I saw that but also read that only the turbo had a different one. Read it on HybridZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Av8ferg said:

I saw that but also read that only the turbo had a different one. Read it on HybridZ.

Seems like I put mine even with the top of the pan and saw how far it went down?  Been a few years...

Well I know from holding the two of them in my hands that the stock ones for the ZX are different than the ones from the Z. The one for the ZX is a little longer and comes off at more of an angle towards the back of the engine (which makes sense since the sump is in the rear). There are pics on ebay of both styles, but without them side by side, it's really hard to see the differences.

Looking at the oil pans though, the holes down into the sump look like they're pretty much in the same spots, so I don't know if you can actually get one style to fit into the pan that it wasn't designed for. That link to zcardepot seems to indicate that it's (at least possible) to share the same pickup tube on all years 70-83, but that may be an aftermarket difference from stock?

In any event, if you've got the ZX pickup there, should be easy enough to bolt it on and see if the oil pan will fit into place.

• Like 1

I checked figment and all goes together fine. The back opening is about and inch further on the ZX. I can’t see inside to verify but I think it will be okay.

aec9c7d6355993b1e427b017173e73d8.jpg062cdb54bfeef364c928b8ca602f092b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I checked figment and all goes together fine. 

Are you sure you didn't just imagine it?

• Haha 1

Are you sure you didn't just imagine it?

I’m not following you ZH? Should it not fit? I bolted the pickup on the the oil pan fit on just fine. Don’t think it was rubbing on the pan but the pickup might be close to the oil drain plug.

It was a grammar joke.  Nerdy.  You said "figment" instead of fitment.  Figment of imagination....

Cliff, thanks for the pics. That pan is the ZX pan in your pics. You can tell bey the shape of the pickup opening. Its more curved than the Z. See my pics of the two side by side above.

The fit seems fine. Didn’t feel it hitting anything and didn’t require any force to get the pan to sit flush. I don’t think it will be a problem. At least I hope, I’ve spend few hours removing rust and grime on that pan and put a fresh coat of POR-15 on it . Looks like new. Also did the harmonic balancer while I had all the stuff out.
    71e58ffeb4c63c7921147b4547b9ca4f.jpg

• Like 1

Yes it's a ZX pan and pickup.  I have an F54 block bored .030 over and all the other bits and pieces to put it together.  It came with new .030 over dished pistons that I don't care for that much but I may build it one day or I would have offered you the ZX pickup screen. :victorious:

Yes it's a ZX pan and pickup.  I have an F54 block bored .030 over and all the other bits and pieces to put it together.  It came with new .030 over dished pistons that I don't care for that much but I may build it one day or I would have offered you the ZX pickup screen. :victorious:

Thanks Cliff, much appreciated. BTW, If you or anyone else on here has the 6 bolts that mount the flywheel to the crank...I need a set.

7 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Thanks Cliff, much appreciated. BTW, If you or anyone else on here has the 6 bolts that mount the flywheel to the crank...I need a set.

Doesn't say anything about the ZX but they're on sale.

https://zcardepot.com/products/flywheel-bolt-set-oem-240z-260z-280z-510?_pos=1&_sid=4c961959d&_ss=r

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

anyone else on here has the 6 bolts that mount the flywheel to the crank

I've got a spare set if you need one. I had zero, so I put out a request a little while ago that was generously answered by @240260280. Then shortly after his gift set arrived, I lucked into a second set in a box of misc Z parts off craigslist. So now I have two sets and would happily send a set your way with the next shipment headed your way.

But if I know you, the new set is already on it's way to you.   LOL 

• Like 1

I've got a spare set if you need one. I had zero, so I put out a request a little while ago that was generously answered by [mention=31602]240260280[/mention]. Then shortly after his gift set arrived, I lucked into a second set in a box of misc Z parts off craigslist. So now I have two sets and would happily send a set your way with the next shipment headed your way.
    But if I know you, the new set is already on it's way to you.   LOL 

Thanks. Actually, hadn’t pulled the trigger yet on a new set. I’d be happy to accept a donation and add it to my beer deficit I owe you.

• Like 2

So, I’ve installed the oil tube pickup. I took some pics to share. It looks like a tight fit but still no obstruction I can see. As you can see in the pic its darn close to the oil drain plug. I’d guess it’s about 1/4-3/8” away from the threads on the drain.

What do you all think?

e8261de4231254d8e02f52bab508f4d5.jpg6b58ecaee1f29f4b1b59ad131548b5c3.jpg99fc2efe23a03263327b604f25901812.jpgaf672beb4a66ecb9a58f98b7ac91caa1.jpg

hmmm, you have gone this far, if it was me I would get the pickup that is designed for the pan being used if its different. Not saying it would not be fine, but why bother if you can get the right part.

Edited by Dave WM
    • Like 2

The right combo is a lot farther away, a good 4 or 5 inches.  I would want the magnet tipped plug in the "pool" but do what you want.

20200212_133311.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

hmmm, you have gone this far, if it was me I would get the pickup that is designed for the pan being used if its different. Not saying it would not be fine, but why bother if you can get the right part.

Dave, I tend to agree with you. Now I need to find one because they appear out of stock at all the typical Z retailers. If anyone wants to sell an extra or knows where one is available for sale let me know. I’ll start digging. All stop....for now.

The right combo is a lot farther away, a good 4 or 5 inches.  I would want the magnet tipped plug in the "pool" but do what you want.
    20200212_133311.thumb.jpg.94d3bfb1a687504a38a11d66b0de5f21.jpg

Thanks Cliff..great point.

• Thanks 1

Got a replacement on its way from Ebay $39.

• Like 3