IGNORED

In Search of Early 240 SU Full Linkage Diagram

DannDZ

4 hours ago, DannDZ said:

I thought I'd start by showing you the things that I don't believe are right. You might be able to just tell me what I did wrong or you may have to post some pictures of your own. Thanks again.

carb.jpg

I am not sure about your insulator, it looks like it is in upside down.  Here is a picture of how mine sits.

IMG_2582.JPG

Here are some pics of the firewall connections for the throttle as well, You asked for those too.

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

I hope that helps.

Edited by Terrapin Z

3 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Plug the PCV input or connect it to the crank case vent pipe. Leaving it open will cause a very fast idle.

Yes, while I wasn't bothered by it, I was idling at at 3,000 RPM. Not a problem on a well-worn engine.

Thanks to all. Lot's of information to process. I do wish someone had produced a manual with this information. I guess I should not have forgotten how it was put together in the first place! 

23 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

I think that the tabs for the screw are wrong on the left side. The one closest to the carb should be on the bottom.

I went out to the car and checked. You are exactly right! All the comments are helpful, but this is (I think) the root cause. The rest is tuning. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, Terrapin Z said:

I am not sure about your insulator, it looks like it is in upside down.

I think you are right. However, I don't have ready access to a gasket between the insulator and the engine, so I am not trying to change them now as I am getting ready to store it for the winter.

6 hours ago, DannDZ said:

I think you are right. However, I don't have ready access to a gasket between the insulator and the engine, so I am not trying to change them now as I am getting ready to store it for the winter.

Just an observation, I was not implying you needed to fix it right away, just something to think about. I would think the coolant might not flow right is all. If you are even running the carb heater lines at all. Some do, some don't. 

On 10/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, Terrapin Z said:

Just an observation, I was not implying you needed to fix it right away

That's how I took it. In fact, I have two new gaskets on the way. I'll install them next year.

I took the car out for a 20-mile ride this afternoon. While it still needs tuning, I am very pleased that with all the help from the community I was able to rebuild them and get the car running again! I've never been good with carbs.

I hope to have a detail show clean the undercarriage next week and then it is ready to be put in the CarCapsule for the winter. I'd like to keep it out longer, but I'm having some surgery on Nov. 6 and I won't be driving the Z for a few months.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 2