IGNORED

77 280z

jcb

My 77280z starts and runs good(for awhile). It dies and will not start until it cools. I think it is the ignition module, just wanting to get confirmation from anyone who has had similar problems. Thanks  JCB

2 hours ago, jcb said:

My 77280z starts and runs good(for awhile). It dies and will not start until it cools. I think it is the ignition module, just wanting to get confirmation from anyone who has had similar problems. Thanks  JCB

Watch the tachometer needle.  See if it starts acting weird before it dies.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:04 PM, SteveJ said:

Take a can of air with you when you drive. If the car dies, hold the can upside down and spray the module. If it comes back to life quickly, you have your answer.

Steve, what is the answer, I'm not getting it?  Is the propellant from the inverted can cooling the module perhaps?

12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Steve, what is the answer, I'm not getting it?  Is the propellant from the inverted can cooling the module perhaps?

When you hold the can upside down, the contents come out as a liquid since the chemical is a liquid at that pressure. Upon exiting the can, the chemical immediately starts to expand, though some of it will stay a liquid for a short time. As it expands in the transition to gaseous phase, the chemical absorbs heat, significantly cooling what the liquid is in contact with. In this case, if the ignition module is overheating and failing, the immediate cooling could revive it.

To give another example that a large portion of this board can relate to: Old-timers would use CO2 fire extinguishers to cool their beers when there was no ice available. The CO2 was under pressure in the fire extinguisher, so spraying it on the cans of beer would provide them with a cold beverage in a very short amount of time. Of course, it was a real pain when they had a fire and found all of their fire extinguishers empty.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2