IGNORED

Unique Fuel Rail

jfa.series1

In working through the refurb of a group of fuel rails I came across one with some unique properties.  I'm hoping @kats or anyone else with insight can help me identify the unit - is it possibly a JDM / Fairlady part?  The first pic is the unique rail with a typical '71-72 240Z rail behind it for comparison.  The second pic shows two unique properties: the supply and return nozzles are equal length versus offset, and the first mounting bracket is fixed - not on a pivoting insulator.  The third pic shows a small brace installed in reverse.  The fourth pic shows a wide mounting bracket versus a narrow one.  Any input would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Rail Unique A.jpg

Rail Unique B.jpg

Rail Unique C.jpg

Rail Unique D.jpg

For reference here is a pic of the fuel rail from my 7/70 car.  It's similar to your '71-72 fuel rail but it has the wide mounting bracket like your "unique" one.  The wide mounting bracket on mine has a bent over tab at the top with a tapped hole. I have no idea what that tapped hole is for.

20190927_050649.jpg

2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

For reference here is a pic of the fuel rail from my 7/70 car.  It's similar to your '71-72 fuel rail but it has the wide mounting bracket like your "unique" one.  The wide mounting bracket on mine has a bent over tab at the top with a tapped hole. I have no idea what that tapped hole is for.

20190927_050649.jpg

We share this rail design our our cars - it is the typical Series 1 style.  There are two notable differences from the '71-72 style: the right-angle tab on the next-to-last mounting tang that you mentioned and the step-down in the tubes.  Ours has a gentle slope down from the wide tang forward to the next tang.  The '71-72 has a distinctive step-down at the back end.  The unique rail I found has this same distinctive step-down suggesting to me it is also from the same years.

240Z Fuel Rail Jim Resize.jpg

I just spotted another unique aspect of this rail: the return nozzle opening is a "huge" 1/8th inch diameter unlike the pinhole opening in the typical 240Z or 260Z rail.  This suggests it was (1) feeding a much lower fuel pressure to the carbs or (2) an allowance for a much higher fuel pressure entering the rail - possibly from an electric fuel pump.

• Like 1