IGNORED

240z hood hinges

bartsscooterservice

Anybody here might have a good set laying around willing to sell? By that I mean with no " play " in the pivot points of the hinges..

Since my car was hit in the front a few years ago, and after the damage repair by the body shop, the hood was still to high up in the front, and the shop couldn't repair it they said..

I went looking for the problem last week, and found when I push the hood down with my hand, there is alot of play in the hinge, so I guess that when my car was hit, the bonnet was pushed up a little and this stretched the hinges out...  ( before the hit the hood was aligning fine..

Bart

3 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Anybody here might have a good set laying around willing to sell? By that I mean with no " play " in the pivot points of the hinges..

Since my car was hit in the front a few years ago, and after the damage repair by the body shop, the hood was still to high up in the front, and the shop couldn't repair it they said..

I went looking for the problem last week, and found when I push the hood down with my hand, there is alot of play in the hinge, so I guess that when my car was hit, the bonnet was pushed up a little and this stretched the hinges out...  ( before the hit the hood was aligning fine..

Bart

Have you tried to adjust it? I have found many hinges will do this. Even a good pair. Many times you can loosen the bolts slightly and push down on the hood, then retighten them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

Have you tried to adjust it? I have found many hinges will do this. Even a good pair. Many times you can loosen the bolts slightly and push down on the hood, then retighten them

It can be done by yourself but much easier with a second person, you do one side at a time, loosen all four bolts holding the hinge to the body, have someone push down on the closed hood in the front corner and tighten the three bolts that you can get to and get the fourth later, then the other side the same. Also, you need to remove the grill.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Bart

If the adjustment suggestions don't work for you, I have a good pair of hinges that I'll be happy to sell.

• Like 1

I found it worked a little easier after I removed the torsion bars.

Loosen everything.  Remove the torsion bars.  Then close it.  That will take all resistence out.  Then reach in there and tighten everything down.    Then reconnect the torsion bars.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, 87mj said:

I found it worked a little easier after I removed the torsion bars.

Loosen everything.  Remove the torsion bars.  Then close it.  That will take all resistence out.  Then reach in there and tighten everything down.    Then reconnect the torsion bars.

Tried that also, but I clearly SAW a lot of play in the hinges when pushing down on the hood, before the accident that wasn't the case, So I guess the " hit " made the hood pull the hinges up, wrecking the pivot points and geometry..

I will look for hinges hopes this makes it much better ?

I have a couple of decent tight hinge sets left over. I went through my stash last year and threw away 2/3's of them because of excessive pivot point slop. There is just about no way to keep you hood aligned with sloppy hinges.

PM me and we'll get some on the way.  

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, zKars said:

I have a couple of decent tight hinge sets left over. I went through my stash last year and threw away 2/3's of them because of excessive pivot point slop. There is just about no way to keep you hood aligned with sloppy hinges.

PM me and we'll get some on the way.  

Okay. PM send