bartsscooterservice

240z hood hinges

    Recommended Posts

    Anybody here might have a good set laying around willing to sell? By that I mean with no " play " in the pivot points of the hinges..

    Since my car was hit in the front a few years ago, and after the damage repair by the body shop, the hood was still to high up in the front, and the shop couldn't repair it they said..

    I went looking for the problem last week, and found when I push the hood down with my hand, there is alot of play in the hinge, so I guess that when my car was hit, the bonnet was pushed up a little and this stretched the hinges out...  ( before the hit the hood was aligning fine..

    Bart

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

    Anybody here might have a good set laying around willing to sell? By that I mean with no " play " in the pivot points of the hinges..

    Since my car was hit in the front a few years ago, and after the damage repair by the body shop, the hood was still to high up in the front, and the shop couldn't repair it they said..

    I went looking for the problem last week, and found when I push the hood down with my hand, there is alot of play in the hinge, so I guess that when my car was hit, the bonnet was pushed up a little and this stretched the hinges out...  ( before the hit the hood was aligning fine..

    Bart

    Have you tried to adjust it? I have found many hinges will do this. Even a good pair. Many times you can loosen the bolts slightly and push down on the hood, then retighten them

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    4 hours ago, Patcon said:

    Have you tried to adjust it? I have found many hinges will do this. Even a good pair. Many times you can loosen the bolts slightly and push down on the hood, then retighten them

    It can be done by yourself but much easier with a second person, you do one side at a time, loosen all four bolts holding the hinge to the body, have someone push down on the closed hood in the front corner and tighten the three bolts that you can get to and get the fourth later, then the other side the same. Also, you need to remove the grill.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

    Anybody here might have a good set laying around willing to sell? By that I mean with no " play " in the pivot points of the hinges..

    Since my car was hit in the front a few years ago, and after the damage repair by the body shop, the hood was still to high up in the front, and the shop couldn't repair it they said..

    I went looking for the problem last week, and found when I push the hood down with my hand, there is alot of play in the hinge, so I guess that when my car was hit, the bonnet was pushed up a little and this stretched the hinges out...  ( before the hit the hood was aligning fine..

    Bart

    If the adjustment suggestions don't work for you, I have a good pair of hinges that I'll be happy to sell.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    14 hours ago, Patcon said:

    Have you tried to adjust it? I have found many hinges will do this. Even a good pair. Many times you can loosen the bolts slightly and push down on the hood, then retighten them

    I tried that, it got a little better but still not good.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I found it worked a little easier after I removed the torsion bars.

    Loosen everything.  Remove the torsion bars.  Then close it.  That will take all resistence out.  Then reach in there and tighten everything down.    Then reconnect the torsion bars.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, 87mj said:

    I found it worked a little easier after I removed the torsion bars.

    Loosen everything.  Remove the torsion bars.  Then close it.  That will take all resistence out.  Then reach in there and tighten everything down.    Then reconnect the torsion bars.

    Tried that also, but I clearly SAW a lot of play in the hinges when pushing down on the hood, before the accident that wasn't the case, So I guess the " hit " made the hood pull the hinges up, wrecking the pivot points and geometry..

    I will look for hinges hopes this makes it much better ?

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have a couple of decent tight hinge sets left over. I went through my stash last year and threw away 2/3's of them because of excessive pivot point slop. There is just about no way to keep you hood aligned with sloppy hinges.

    PM me and we'll get some on the way.  

    Edited by zKars
    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    16 hours ago, zKars said:

    I have a couple of decent tight hinge sets left over. I went through my stash last year and threw away 2/3's of them because of excessive pivot point slop. There is just about no way to keep you hood aligned with sloppy hinges.

    PM me and we'll get some on the way.  

    Okay. PM send

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now