IGNORED

Stock Wheels - What tire choices?

Craig24

I know a lot has been discussed about tires. I can't find any current discussions (since 14" started to disappear). I am getting my car running after 25 years (see: "1973 240z Awakening"). I don't want to upgrade wheels and tires now with all the future expenses coming. So from what I can find on this site my Choices are 195/70R14 (Stock), 205/60R14, 215/60R14, and 225/60R14. Can you go with 15" on this rim, if so what?  -Thanks -

On my 14" rims I am using Vredestein Sportrack 5 tires. They are 195 70 hr 14. They are a summer tire so not good if you want to drive in temps colder than about 45. They are 300 treadwear tires so pretty sticky.

I was looking for a summer tire that is stickier than most of the all season 14" options.

And, they work well and stick well for an old school tire size with tall sidewalls.

I don't expect that they will last more than 10k miles due to the 300 TW but that isn't an issue for me....I drive my cars often but not a ton of miles. They will probably reach their age limit before I wear them out.

I think I purchased from Tire Rack.

Edit:

I see you are in Austin...so maybe a good option for you.

Edited by jonathanrussell
  • Like 1

I fell off the road in the wet a few weeks back - actually whilst taking it quite easy for once!!! My Michelins were 7 years old so the rubber had gone off

Here in the UK, the best all rounder I could find was Bridgestone Turanza T005. Which for good reviews for wet traction and dry in this size. The other option is of course the ultra expensive Michelin MXV-P classic tyres. At £300 per corner it was a bit too salty for my tastes!

• Like 1

The original tires size on all 240Zs is 175 SR 14.

I still have my original spare Bridgestone RD150 in my '73 in that size .  I believe that was the most common tire fitted although I've seen some reports that Toyo tires were fitted on some. That tire size translates to a 175/80 14 tire size today.  When I went looking for Bridgestones in that size for the restoration to stock condition of my car, (see the thread "We're Bringin' Back the Flattops" on classiczcars.com) I discovered that Bridgestone no longer sells that size in the US.

I think there may be some manufactures that sell that size in the US, but not from any Japanese brand. 

HOWEVER, Bridgestone does sell that size in Australia and Europe.  (Bridgestone B330 Evo 175/80 S 14s)  I found a seller on the UK eBay site that would ship them (from France!)  and now have them fitted to my car. About $125 each, including shipping.

• Like 2

I have been looking for 14" tires lately. I am planning on trying a 225/60R14.

I ran Eagle GT's in that size in high school with out too many dramas. That way I can use the 14" wheels I've got but so far the only tire I've found is a BFGoodrich tire or a Coker that is basically the same tire. Anyone know of another brand available?

• Like 1

In Europe / the UK we have these available ...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Turanza-T005.htm

Just put 195 70 14 on mine and WOW!!!! The grip is utterly stunning in the wet and in the dry I ran out of courage and wheel arch clearance before the grip did. Very good feel too without being a nuisance.

Highly recommended if available where you are. I was in two minds when considering the types of cars they typically go on but on a Z they are utterly superb.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AK260 said:

In Europe / the UK we have these available ...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Turanza-T005.htm

Just put 195 70 14 on mine and WOW!!!! The grip is utterly stunning in the wet and in the dry I ran out of courage and wheel arch clearance before the grip did. Very good feel too without being a nuisance.

Highly recommended if available where you are. I was in two minds when considering the types of cars they typically go on but on a Z they are utterly superb.

They are evidently available in the US at the Tire Rack. I don't know if the specific size is available though

• Like 2