brunodoggy

"Brand new" 280Z

Looks like a 350 mile Z to me. Never knew they came with such a heavy rough black undercoating ? 

You have the picture of the barn find. Just have it cleaned professionally, give it a good tune up and put it on barret jackson or something lol. Worth big bucks for collectors

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the excessive undercoating was dealer applied. This was sold in Philadelphia, where there was lots of salt put on the roads.

Well, I wouldn't be too sure about that.

My '77 is an original Cal. car, and it came well treated with the then conventional asphalt-based undercoat. Not terribly neatly, but thorough.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, siteunseen said:

I see them on ebay from time to time. I'm looking too.

Your's are the Scallops right, '71 to '76?

According to Carl Beck's website www.Zhome.com the Scallop hubcaps were only on the 1972 thru 1975 Z-Cars. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

22 minutes ago, brunodoggy said:

That's good to hear!  The Scallop hubcaps look great on your car!  The picture of the 1976 Z brochure proves it. I also Googled 1976 Datsun 280Z  "Images" and the 1976 280Zs shown that didn't have aftermarket wheels on them, all had the Scallop hubcaps.  Looks like Zhome.com will need to make the correction to '72 thru '76 Z-Cars for the Scallop hubcaps.

Good luck to you with the sale of your world record low mileage 280Z!  I would put it on BringaTrailer.com if I were you, as it only costs $100.00 to list a car. A pristine '71 240Z with 21K miles sold for $310K in January. 

BAT is where it will probably eventually end up. Right now we are focusing on making sure it looks EXACTLY like it did when sitting in the dealer's showroom. That will hopefully be completed in time for ZCON. This is mostly just detailed cleaning, other than the mechanical work cleaning brake and gas lines and getting the engine running.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lonetreesteve said:

That's good to hear!  The Scallop hubcaps look great on your car!  The picture of the 1976 Z brochure proves it. I also Googled 1976 Datsun 280Z  "Images" and the 1976 280Zs shown that didn't have aftermarket wheels on them, all had the Scallop hubcaps.  Looks like Zhome.com will need to make the correction to '72 thru '76 Z-Cars for the Scallop hubcaps.

I'll take that as an attempt to bear good news.

15 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

I am tempted to get in on the action for that green one, sweet!!!

I agree. that's a great looking car. One I could actually Drive. If my car were sold, this one would make a great replacement!!!

12 minutes ago, brunodoggy said:

I agree. that's a great looking car. One I could actually Drive. If my car were sold, this one would make a great replacement!!!

I hear all the reasons not to drive your car, maybe I am getting old, but what heck I would take your 350 mile version and drive it to Alaska!!! You only live once, and money is not everything.

If I can get a million miles on mine I will be a happy driving camper..

get yours going and I will meet you at pikes peak.

Edited by Dave WM

1 minute ago, Dave WM said:

I hear all the reasons not to drive your car, maybe I am getting old, but what heck I would take your 350 mile version and drive it to Alaska!!! You only live once, and money is not everything.

If I can get a million miles on mine I will be a happy driving camper..

I hear you. When I bought this car, I was expecting to find lots of problems and need to perform lots of work on the car to get it running - which was fine. I wanted a fun car to drive. When I discovered the miraculous state of this car: No pests, No hard/dry rubber seals, No blemishes anywhere, I decided this car was destined to stand alone. As I've told others, this car has earned the title of "Unicorn 280Z" after 44 years of "Garage Jail." I'm not willing to take that title away from her. I'm also not a collector so my job has been to simply enjoy the metamorphosis of going from Barn Dirty to Showroom clean. It's been well worth it.  

1 minute ago, brunodoggy said:

I hear you. When I bought this car, I was expecting to find lots of problems and need to perform lots of work on the car to get it running - which was fine. I wanted a fun car to drive. When I discovered the miraculous state of this car: No pests, No hard/dry rubber seals, No blemishes anywhere, I decided this car was destined to stand alone. As I've told others, this car has earned the title of "Unicorn 280Z" after 44 years of "Garage Jail." I'm not willing to take that title away from her. I'm also not a collector so my job has been to simply enjoy the metamorphosis of going from Barn Dirty to Showroom clean. It's been well worth it.  

I get it, I suppose it would be hard to be the person that takes that title away. It would be like taking a survivor and putting a sbc and wide body kit on it.

17 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

When you sell your 280z it will be bought by a collector, he'll drive it around the block and park it next to all the other cars he doesn't drive.

Trust me, I know that - unless a museum should bid and win her... An unlikely chance, but a man can hope. I Just know that when it's all said and done, I don't want to put miles on her, and I don't have the desire to sequester her away - a decision that has been very hard to make.

This one is climbing fast.  Worth following.  Still seven days left and it's at $25,240 (who does $40? - Lstepp4re).  Let me know if you don't want to fill your thread with extraneous stuff.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-datsun-280z-38/

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

This one is climbing fast.  Worth following.  Still seven days left and it's at $25,240 (who does $40? - Lstepp4re).  Let me know if you don't want to fill your thread with extraneous stuff.

That is a great looking car. That will make a great "Driver." It's great to see the 280Z starting to get some love.