Jump to content

718Miata

My Mecum Purchase - 1972 240Z

Recommended Posts

I bought this 1972 240z two weeks ago at the Houston Mecum auction. I’m new to Zs and have owned mostly older Miatas as my weekend car. 

Here is the Mecum listing:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0419-372171/1972-datsun-240z/

 

The car has the build book with $26,000 in receipts. The prior owner had it for 17 years and did most of the work himself. 

 

I paid $13,750 for the car, including commission. There were three owners before me and the car has 107k miles. Any idea what the car is actually worth?

1641C2A8-45DE-4FBC-B1CE-5475D4E78C76.jpeg

C3F55140-A835-4ECD-B7CA-CF68C4045309.jpeg

40B26AD2-35FB-4043-A232-5866B967FDED.jpeg

E6C5F59D-FCCD-41D2-AA96-937B2EE1B3D5.jpeg

B0E375D5-36E2-4942-9F3E-6DE96DC6C76A.jpeg

9AC5251B-6F21-45C1-AE7A-C3353E40BAD2.jpeg

4FF0398F-2AF1-4FF4-80EA-C9E1FF25B953.jpeg

C0665351-5CDD-467A-AA72-4D283472CCA3.jpeg

57F5EE5D-2152-4EEF-B2AC-902AF83CD165.jpeg

D945C4EE-6AF1-4383-96CA-EEBC186A4C0B.jpeg

803A5C29-E755-489C-9432-A857B9A830CD.jpeg

95C98B1B-9836-4C65-9388-B2E3097F5B26.jpeg

6539672C-A4A4-472E-B3AD-17F5161C85F8.jpeg

4A234C6C-BFD1-4DB2-9063-B502635207EB.jpeg

25FD7F98-BDDF-4B29-B358-64CC6F96EFFA.jpeg

FF2F8133-D2D3-4D7C-B6EC-EF88C6BBD735.jpeg

443F2AF5-3935-498E-8630-7472C2E24555.jpeg

B196E894-33F7-43C7-AD3C-03ECF9C2E14D.jpeg

E466266E-8D63-4B72-A3DA-ABF3752CF217.jpeg

1A56EF74-1D84-4C1F-A62C-CFBAC178F5C1.jpeg

1AFFC129-D30B-4AA6-B2BC-D3BA5412BDD6.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere between $18,200 and $38,300 according to Hagerty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike said:

Good buy!  I think you officially stole it.  If you clean it up and relist it on BAT, you could likely see $20k+

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/240z/

It’s insane what 240zs have been selling for on BaT. Mecum screwed up the listing for my car.  The original engine is in the car itself, not “included.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mecum also messed up by not keeping the build book in the car. Had that book been presented at the time of bidding, I think it would have sold for more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are new to Z cars, the one piece of advice I would give is treat it only as a fair weather car.  The sheet metal was not very good.  I don't drive mine unless the sun is out.  I live in the Midwest.  Mine sits in a heated garage in the winter and I only drive it on dry summer days.  No rain.  Also, try to put a light colored towel over your dash when it sits outside.  Especially in your area of the country.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just a heads up the front side marker lights are on wrong.  The need to be rotated 180 degrees.  Sorry, i'm just picky about correctness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mgood said:

just a heads up the front side marker lights are on wrong.  The need to be rotated 180 degrees.  Sorry, i'm just picky about correctness.

Don’t apologize. I appreciate any and all feedback about the car.  To the extent that I can, I’d like to make the car as correct as possible. So please, keep the comments coming. I will post more photos as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 87mj said:

If you are new to Z cars, the one piece of advice I would give is treat it only as a fair weather car.  The sheet metal was not very good.  I don't drive mine unless the sun is out.  I live in the Midwest.  Mine sits in a heated garage in the winter and I only drive it on dry summer days.  No rain.  Also, try to put a light colored towel over your dash when it sits outside.  Especially in your area of the country.  :)

That car will never see rain. And I do have two dash cracks when the prior owner, after restoring it, let it sit outside on a hot day (I spoke to him after the auction).

70168E7C-2F12-4348-A86B-193336F861C7.jpeg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just trying to figure out your comment...  So, he restored the car and it had no cracks?  After leaving it outside one day in the hot sun, he came out to see the new ones from that day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Just trying to figure out your comment...  So, he restored the car and it had no cracks?  After leaving it outside one day in the hot sun, he came out to see the new ones from that day?

That was his contention. I believe him. He had no reason to lie.  I had bought the car already, as is, from Mecum.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 718Miata said:

That was his contention. I believe him. He had no reason to lie.  I had bought the car already, as is, from Mecum.  

I wasn't going to suggest he was lying..  The reason for my comment was to express how frustrating it would be to find these cracks.  Especially after a big restoration..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 My first thought was, balderdash! Never heard of that much damage occurring in one day. But, when reviewing the pics again, the cracks look new. Old cracks typically swell as the cracks grow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

 My first thought was, balderdash! Never heard of that much damage occurring in one day. But, when reviewing the pics again, the cracks look new. Old cracks typically swell as the cracks grow.  

Is there any way to patch those so they look better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one that the PO had filled in with a low gloss black elastomeric caulk. Like you use to seal commercial windows. It looked pretty darn good to me. I'll try and find a picture when I get my laptop out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I had one that the PO had filled in with a low gloss black elastomeric caulk. Like you use to seal commercial windows. It looked pretty darn good to me. I'll try and find a picture when I get my laptop out.

Thank you. That would be great. Replacing the whole dash is too great of a challenge for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hiyabrad said:

My NOS dash would look great in your car. 

How much would that cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I just quoted 1700 for someone but for you because I love your car I’ll do it for 1500. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hiyabrad said:

 I just quoted 1700 for someone but for you because I love your car I’ll do it for 1500. 

Thank you. I’m not yet ready to go down that rabbit hole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello 718Miata: Wecome to the Z Car community. Take that Datsun 240Z out for a long drive and chances are good that you'll stay in the Z Car Community for a long time. 
 
I really can’t believe anyone would let that 240Z go for less than $25K. Does it have title problems?, Floors completely rusted out? Was previous owner high on drugs?  Were there no Dealers at that Auction? This is the 50th Anniversary of the “Z Car”.. and 240Z’s are HOT in the market NOW. There is a discussion thread on the this forum seeking information about how/where to find 240Z’s for sale.
 

Looking only at the “Beauty Shots” - and projecting them onto areas we can not see - - if the undercarriage looks as good… It’s easily a $25K to $30K+ sale on BringATrailer.  

 
Get it up on a lift and get clear pictures of the floorboards/framerails and entire suspension - and you’ll get a better evaluation of its current market value from the group here.
Edited by Carl Beck
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car has no title problems. In fact, the title is getting delivered today from Mecum. I’ll be the fourth owner.

The prior owner did the restoration over the course of 13 years. He had the car for 17 years. He essentially did a nuts and bolts restoration. I’ll take some photos from his album later and post them. 

Mecum was the absolutely wrong place to sell this car. Almost no one at Houston Mecum is looking for Japanese cars. He should have put it on BAT in the first instance. 

I’ll take some photos of the undercarriage with my phone and flashlight later.  It is really clean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.