IGNORED

Door Window removal

chiefmd

Getting ready to install new door cards and mirrors on my 77 280z. Looks like I have to remove the door glass to fit the mirrors. I would like to just remove the glass but the FSM isn't overly clear as how to go about this. From what I can see there are four screws that hold the window to the mechanism. I'm hoping that I can remove the screws and lift the window out of the tracks, am I correct. If not, any assistance on how to remove just the window would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

The very talented engineers at Nissan and those trained in S30 maintenance knew how to skillfully (and quickly) extract a window.  I have never been able to master the trick and always ended up removing the window frame to safely get a window out.

Do you have to remove the glass for mirror replacement on a 240?  

Thanks.  Cliff

10 hours ago, chiefmd said:

Thanks for the input. Did remove the frame and the 4 screws and just lifted the window out. Thanks again.

You know I don't think I did, these pics are about 5-6 yrs old now so the memory is not so clear but all the hardware is still in place, I think I might have removed the SS trim/window squeegee piece and the inner door card, rolled the window down all the way and got my fingers up there to thread the nuts on. At any rate it is worth a try before pulling the window glass.

DSCN6371.jpg

DSCN6370.jpg

DSCN6374.jpg

4 hours ago, Namerow said:

From long ago, I remember someone mentioning a specific combination of socket-wrench extensions and U-joints that would allow getting at the mirror fasteners.  Maybe someone with a better memory than me can tell us the secret formula.

There's some talk in this thread of sockets and u-joints and not removing the glass.  I'm going to have to study this more as I'm about to try and get mine back to normal.  I've read it's almost impossible to get the mirror in with the housing still mounted onto the door.