IGNORED

Rust Proofing 240z Dealer Guide

Any mention of what the rustproofing material actually was?

I bought a 5 gallon can of a military spec, self healing, wax based anti-corrosion solution (similar to cosmoline)  in a rustproofing effort. I applied it to all the areas I could reach, that I thought could be moisture traps, until it ran out the seams. Created quite a mess on the garage floor and smelled like solvent for a while, but that went away in a week or two it seems. No lingering smells now.

I didn't drill into inaccessible areas like the frame rails though.

At the time I couldn't convince my self to do that!  :ermm:

Hopefully it wasn't a futile effort.

I suppose it could still be done more thoroughly and the holes capped.

• Like 1

Blue , I really enjoyed seeing this manual , 

this is telling exactly the locations where the rust spots can be seen most of cars , including my Zs . I am now wondering did we have similar treatment at the Nissan dealers back in 70s in Japan ?

Kats

Edited by kats

Whoever wrote this manual back in the day had a nice understanding of the Z's prospective corrosion spots.  There are some places missed, though:

• lower boxed section at the rear of the front frame rails (behind the T/C rod bracket)
  • underfloor reinforcement rails
  • underside of hatch floor, where the floor meets the rear valence panel
  • inner cavity beneath the rear hatch sill plate
  • full perimeter of the hatch cavity (not just the trailing edge)
  • windshield posts
  • front cowl (esp. along all the seams)

In the 1970's, it seems, many of the popular aftermarket rustproofing solutions were flawed by design.  Ziebart (a wax-type treatment) was considered the gold standard, but the material apparently dried out and cracked after several years, creating thousands of crevasses and concealed ledges for salt water to lodge in.  As a result, the 'rust preventative' became a rust accelerator.  IIRC, there was a successful class-action suit and the company went out of business.  Another name in the day was 'Bondeco'.  They seem to have disappeared, too.  Maybe for the same reason (modern wax-type treatments (e.g. WaxOyl) use better formulations and don't seem to suffer from the same problem).

Also in the 1970's, old-timers swore by the effectiveness of oil-spraying.  Unfortunately, most of the shops that did this were kind of 'rural' and they used old crankcase oil.  Not the sort of thing to be spraying onto your brand-new sportscar!  We now have RustChek and the like, which use a clean, thin, perfumed oil that does a nice job of creeping into seams.  I have a 2006-vintage car that I bought new and had sprayed once shortly after purchase.  It's still solid and rust-free (although at least half of the credit for that probably goes to manufacturers' increased use of galvanized sheet metal).

• Like 4

On 2/19/2019 at 6:24 AM, kats said:

Blue , I really enjoyed seeing this manual , 

this is telling exactly the locations where the rust spots can be seen most of cars , including my Zs . I am now wondering did we have similar treatment at the Nissan dealers back in 70s in Japan ?

Kats

Hi Kats:

Did they use salt to melt ice on the highways and streets in Japan?  Road Salts seem to be the real cause of extensive rust here in the State's. Seems a lot of 240Z's survived in Washington State for example - where they did not use Road Salt - and instead allowed winter tires with ice spikes back in the 60's/70's. 

Carl B.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, Carl Beck said:

Hi Kats:

Did they use salt to melt ice on the highways and streets in Japan?  Road Salts seem to be the real cause of extensive rust here in the State's. Seems a lot of 240Z's survived in Washington State for example - where they did not use Road Salt - and instead allowed winter tires with ice spikes back in the 60's/70's. 

Carl B.

Hi Carl , yes we have salts everywhere in Japan !! Especially on highway entrance with slope . When I was a kid , yes cars put tires with spikes ,and whem I was a teenager , the government stopped using the tire with spikes due to the pollution of dust from the road . 

Recently, Nissan dealer servicemen did a nice job for my Z432. That is a clear coat for underneath of the car .I am so satisfied with it , it turned out very natural appearance, not glossy, it is very hard to tell the car had the coat.

I hate salts !

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 6:29 AM, kats said:

Hi Carl , yes we have salts everywhere in Japan !! Especially on highway entrance with slope . When I was a kid , yes cars put tires with spikes ,and whem I was a teenager , the government stopped using the tire with spikes due to the pollution of dust from the road . 

Recently, Nissan dealer servicemen did a nice job for my Z432. That is a clear coat for underneath of the car .I am so satisfied with it , it turned out very natural appearance, not glossy, it is very hard to tell the car had the coat.

I hate salts !

Kats

Hi Kats:

I guess that melting the ice with salt is a trade-off vs. having more cars wrecked and people hurt because of ice on the road. Nonetheless, your 432 looks perfect, and the protective coating is a great idea.  Thanks for the video. 
Carl B.
  • Like 1