ConVerTT

240z - fabbing new front rails

    Recommended Posts

    Finally got all the major pieces fabbed up for the rad support.  Pretty tricky piece but almost there ....

     

    6F7E5CAE-4119-4BD7-95B5-D49A722BA617.jpeg

     

    F26F23AA-D77B-4F86-B125-F96A8234FBD8.jpeg

     

    2EF4C664-88D0-4099-9539-2815484AB485.jpeg

    Punching oval holes was hit and miss so I need to decide what to do with the two bottom holes? I might just punch round ones and then drill / dimple die the 6 holes on the back of the lower rad support...

    Hope to wrap this up on the weekend ....

     

     

     

     

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I’ll be there to spill his secrets ....

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    42 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

    I would love to be there at the first Z car show you take it to and watch the faces as they try to figure out what is different about your car.

    Might have to delete this whole thread LOL 😉

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    That looks good. A very hard part to duplicate. Imagine what repops would cost if they were available?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Patcon said:

    That looks good. A very hard part to duplicate. Imagine what repops would cost if they were available?

    Thanks!  So I don’t know but I have quite a few hours into it (including some “grrrr-just walk away time”) so I imagine it wouldn’t be cheap.

    Edited by ConVerTT
    Added
    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    So I need a little bit better dust management now that spring is sprung, so I can take the covers off the summer cars and still grind away (literally) on all the weld cleanup that I need to do on the front end...

    Enter dust booth V1.0. ...

     

    1A7B27EE-AA34-4CA6-BB2C-655584C5C961.jpeg

     

    56E6F5AA-1D74-4FB1-BCE1-65944174E21D.jpeg

    Made from 1 1/4 angle iron (Meccano for Adults 😉) and 6 mil vapor barrier. I might add a fan and filter - we’ll see how it goes...

    and yes it will double as Part A of the modular paint booth when the time comes 😀😀😀

    Edited by ConVerTT
    Typos
    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

    I like it!  I was just about to start building my paint booth out of 2x4" but the adult Meccano looks a lot easier to tear down afterward.

    Thanks!  Home Depot Canada had the 8 ft lengths on for $13.20 a piece, which I thought was pretty cheap .....cleaned them out 😀

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

    I like it!  I was just about to start building my paint booth out of 2x4" but the adult Meccano looks a lot easier to tear down afterward.

    And the adult Meccano  is very light to reposition.  The whole assembly can be pulled with one hand...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Whoa!  Those are some outstanding pieces of work!   If those are “prototypes” I would love to see the “production” versions!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Pretty impressive, ive just read the whole 9 pages so far. These parts out of the UK are great too, but only needed some square weld nuts added and they would be perfect. 

    Ive got the front rad panel blank on CAD and have laser cut The prototypes (4x pieces from memory) 

    Amongst other parts like front rails, full- length floor rails, lower rad and engime & gearbox mounts, std and RB versions. 

    New here to classic Z cars, but long time Z man.... 

    Keep up the artful creative, driven, no-doubt by the need for solid metal. 

    Cheers Nat0 

    Oh and PS the 240z front frame. Rails taper outboard by only 5mm per side where as the 260z from about 75 taper out 10mm per side. As they run a wider & taller radiator. Youll also find their lower rad support drops another 15 or 20mm also. Had to Cad both of them up as i have a bitsa 240 with a 260z front repair which needed a hybrid panel made to finish the structural parta. Fyi. 

     

    Edited by Nat0z
    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    On 8/4/2019 at 2:04 AM, Nat0z said:

    Pretty impressive, ive just read the whole 9 pages so far. These parts out of the UK are great too, but only needed some square weld nuts added and they would be perfect. 

    Ive got the front rad panel blank on CAD and have laser cut The prototypes (4x pieces from memory) 

    Amongst other parts like front rails, full- length floor rails, lower rad and engime & gearbox mounts, std and RB versions. 

    New here to classic Z cars, but long time Z man.... 

    Keep up the artful creative, driven, no-doubt by the need for solid metal. 

    Cheers Nat0 

    Oh and PS the 240z front frame. Rails taper outboard by only 5mm per side where as the 260z from about 75 taper out 10mm per side. As they run a wider & taller radiator. Youll also find their lower rad support drops another 15 or 20mm also. Had to Cad both of them up as i have a bitsa 240 with a 260z front repair which needed a hybrid panel made to finish the structural parta. Fyi. 

     

    Welcome Nat0z.   And thanks for the kind words!  I'd love to see more of your stuff too -  sounds like you are quite a bit further down this journey than I am. 

    It's summer here so progress has been slow, but I will be back at it furiously towards the end of September.  So check back for more pics ...

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I’m day dreaming of having 10% of your talent and skills, I would be proud of myself!...What a great job you are doing there... Keep it going!... Love to follow your progress. Cheers!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now