IGNORED

[2019] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

13 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

They are a blast......and the best part is that you can give em back at the end of the day Charles!

088B3511-92B2-439A-A022-174B5973785F.jpeg

I know!!! Sugar them up and send them home. LOL a little pay back mixed in with the fun is always good :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not my car but an item in my recent parts hoard purchase.  Hoping for another unicorn find with this one.  I cleaned it up yesterday and refreshed the faceplate with a silver Sharpie - not to worry, a chrome pen is on order to get an accurate look.  Its missing the Hitachi model # sticker on the bottom but otherwise very complete and in great condition.  Next up is setting up a test environment to check out the functionality.  Where are @S30Driver and @Zup when I need them?

AM Radio 09.jpg

AM Radio 07.jpg

• Like 2

Nice 240 radio Jim!  Best of luck with it.   The AM signal seekers are the most fun to play with...

Zup's approved bench setup is - a 12v garage battery charger, oem antenna, and a floor speaker he has left over from the woodstock era.  :geek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AZ-240z said:

Jim, very nice job refurbishing a beautiful example of an early radio.  Could you 

tell me about the chrome pen you ordered, ie., source and performance?

Thanks, and I really hope to see you and your car someday.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Here is the chrome pen set I ordered. I had heard about it previously and a buddy recently used one with very good results on his dash bezel.  I'll post my results after I get it.

Thanks,

Jim

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JJ1YMY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S30Driver said:

Nice 240 radio Jim!  Best of luck with it.   The AM signal seekers are the most fun to play with...

Zup's approved bench setup is - a 12v garage battery charger, oem antenna, and a floor speaker he has left over from the woodstock era.  :geek:

Thanks, Jim.  I know the power goes in thru the white connector to the blue line with the fuse.  The red/blue wire looks to tie in to the instruments per the wiring diagram.  I presume it is idle for bench testing? The radio is grounded thru the body, correct?   I have a working OE antenna from a 260Z to check out the antenna switch.

• Like 1

Hi Jim!

What a fabulously good find! I echo Jim2's sentiments above!

If it is in working condition, you know that you probably have--- in this one item---- covered the costs of your storage acquisition. Working signal seeking AM units go for really $tupid money these days.

Yes to all your queries above. From memory---:ermm:--- it seems the red/blue wire is for the dial illumination lamp.

Here's hoping she passes all further testing with flying colors!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

Hi Dan,

Here is the chrome pen set I ordered. I had heard about it previously and a buddy recently used one with very good results on his dash bezel.  I'll post my results after I get it.

Thanks,

Jim

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JJ1YMY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, Jim.  I have a spare early radio in need of a faceplate that I, too, need to check out.

Looking forward to seeing how yours radio and chrome pen checks out. 

thanks again Jim.

Dan

Helped my buddy with his BRE tribute. 

• Rear suspension finished and assembled. Cosmo Coil over rear height is set. EZ to do! 
  • Differential installed and filled.
  • Made a bracket to offset the throttle linkage on the firewall. Cut down the Shepard's hook to fit. Optimized the linkage geometry (throttle plate throw vs foot pedal throw). Set the pedal stop.

3 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Thanks, Jim.  I know the power goes in thru the white connector to the blue line with the fuse.  The red/blue wire looks to tie in to the instruments per the wiring diagram.  I presume it is idle for bench testing? The radio is grounded thru the body, correct?   I have a working OE antenna from a 260Z to check out the antenna switch.

Hey Jim,  the red/blue illumination lead you can connect in parallel with the blue +12v power, to see if the bulbs for lighting are functioning.

Look forward to your feedback on the chrome pen.

• Like 2

• Mike pinned this topic