IGNORED

78 280z Rear ended...need parts

Bill McPherson

Due to recent accident where I was rear ended, I'm looking for a 280z rear valence and passenger side bracket that attaches to valence and frame. Possibly the passenger side rear taillight panel if I can't smooth out the one I have. Right now, I'm only finding 240z valences out there, which could work, if that's my only option. Also any good body shop recommendations in central Maryland (West of Baltimore). Need to straighten out and square off the body panel just under the tail lights that the valence is welded to. From the pictures, you can see how it has been pulled down as you move from the drivers to the passenger side. See attached pictures. Thanks.

IMG_4748c.jpg

IMG_4749c.jpg

I don't think I have what you need but I have found that is a difficult place to put back right. There is a lot of really solid metal right there. My car took a similar shot but less and I have had a hard time making it right. You will want to pull the tank or have the shop do it to have a good shot at getting it back the way it needs to be

Look on "Car-part.com" and find yards with the right year cars. Then call them and tell them what you want. I wouldn't search for the rear valance. I would search for rear quarters. If they have good quarters they most likely will have a good rear pan. Might take some leg work but you should be able to find one

The rear valance was rusted on mine when I was getting mine ready for paint.  The guy doing the welding said it would be better to just replace it so I was kind of in the situation you are in. I really couldn't find a 77' valance in the time frame I was working in so opted for the readily available one from Banzai motor works.  It came as a stamped piece of metal but it was flat and needed to be shaped into that curve that it has which added more time and effort, not to mention that the bumper bracket holes do not line up the 280 holes.  None of those things were a deal breaker to me since I don't have a rear bumper although they are something to consider and compare too the time and cost of repairing what you've got.  

GLW8961R.jpg

Thanks to both for your responses! I did reach out to Bonzai Motorworks yesterday afternoon and he said he did not have these parts. I do like the car-part.com reference. I didn't know about that site before. Nobody seems to have the 280Z panel at all. gwri8, thanks so much for the info on the bumper bracket locations and the need to curve the piece as well as the picture! Great looking car! I did come across a place that has the option to give me one identical to your piece in the picture or to get one that is the same overall shaped piece but is a totally blank piece (nothing stamped into it). With the blank piece, I'd have to cut out for the exhaust pipe. With either piece, I'd have to close up the bumper shock holes that are partially cut into the quarter panels on either side. I imagine it would look similar to the attached image when completed with the blank piece. gwri8, could you tell me where you got those tail light panels? Love that look! Ultimately, I won't be going with the bumper either, so no big deal going with the 240 style valence. I'd just like to protect the gas tank more. Maybe with a steel plate between the tank and valence and/or a tank that wouldn't rupture if crunched in an accident but still be able to mount in the same location. But that's another topic, I guess.

4298c.jpg

My rear panels are nothing special.  It's just a vinyl wrap over stock panels. It was hard to get right with all the complex curves on those but was realativly inexpensive .  Now they are about 3 yrs old and I should probably re-do them. Vinyl is temporary and doesn't last so I try to do something else next time. The tail light trim pieces are painted bright silver with a clear coat.

I agree with everything Patcon suggested.  If you want more protection back there, that's what that the original bumper (often referred to as the park bench) was for.

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

There is very little room between the rear valance and the tank. It would be difficult to make anything substantial enough for reinforcement to the rear and still be able to get the tank in and out.

I agree but what if the protective piece was attached to the tank so it would come out with the tank? I'm imaging, as I sit by the wood stove, a piece of 1/4" steel plate at the rear of the tank welded to a 1/4" flat bar frame that would surround the tank. The tank would mount to the fabricated frame and the flat bar frame would attach to the chassis. 

AlbatrossCafe: Maybe, maybe not. They were rusted out pretty bad. Plus, I like that booty without the park bench ? . Mark/Patcon, I was thinking of slightly relocating the current brackets that are currently bolted to the original valence and are attached to the frame on either side (or making new ones) and bolting a piece of thick flat steel just behind the valence, in front of the gas tank straps. That way, I could unbolt them if I needed to get to the tank in the future.

image.png

I have concerns about reinforcement around the fuel tank. I just see a piece of steel failing to yield and breaking instead, to end up punching the fuel tank it's meant to protect. I would think reinforcement would have to be very well thought out. I think a more interesting idea would be coming up with a puncture resistant liner like fuel cells have.

• Like 2

grannyknot, thanks for the heads up on the brackets. Maybe I can work around them or figure how to get them out somehow. Patcon, I think we will look into a fuel cell that can go roughly in the same location as the original tank. Starting from ground zero on that. The other person's insurance came through today and cut us a check to fix the car. Their body shop didn't feel comfortable working on the car so I may do a combination of some work ourselves (gas tank) as well as searching out a reputable body shop to do the body work and painting. We will be ordering a 240Z panel from the Z Store as it seems to be a good quality piece (16 guage steel). Like that look (like gwri8's car) vs the smooth look with this car! Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1