IGNORED

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

Marty Rogan

11 minutes ago, Marty Rogan said:

I bought a 61" commercial zero turn mower.  It can do up to 10 MPH on flat ground.  It takes me about 3 1/2 hours to cut.  I usually do it over 2 days, so  it does not feel like lawn mowing is my second career.  And with the zero turn, it s ALMOST fun.

Ah, yes that makes it an easier job.  I had a big piece of property (with grass) and it can be a big job...  As far as toys, your shop is just begging for a lift (after you figure out the climate control)...

Edit:  Those lights look like they might not be enough..  not sure.

3 hours ago, Marty Rogan said:

I bought a 61" commercial zero turn mower.  It can do up to 10 MPH on flat ground.  It takes me about 3 1/2 hours to cut.  I usually do it over 2 days, so  it does not feel like lawn mowing is my second career.  And with the zero turn, it s ALMOST fun.

My Exmark going backwards is faster than my Dad's Scag going forward.  It makes him so mad! LOL

I have a mulching deck on mine and just finished cleaning my yard.  It looks like a vacuumed yard and as you say it IS fun.

Ahh man that is a beautiful place you have. :beer:

Edited by siteunseen

Great space.

Get/make yourself some good benches, and I suggest at least 1 with a nice thick steel top so you can bash away on it and weld on it. If you put castors on it helps as well, so you can move it around if need be. I should have done it years ago. Also closed storage is much better than open shelves. It looks neater and keeps the dust out. With that roof height, I would consider building a mezzanine at some stage as extra storage is always worth while (no matter how big your space is you will always fill it and want more ? ) .

For a compressor always go as big as you can, and even consider putting it outside, or in an insulated box, as they are really noisy.

With a big space like that, something that may become an issue, is that you quickly run out of wall space. If that becomes an issue it can be worth thinking about making 'walls', eg, putting cabinets back to back moving into the centre of the space. I was amazed at having a good size garage and suddenly running out of wall space. 

In any case, planning what to do with that big space is a good problem to have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

My Exmark going backwards is faster than my Dad's Scag going forward.  It makes him so mad! LOL

I have a mulching deck on mine and just finished cleaning my yard.  It looks like a vacuumed yard and as you say it IS fun.

Ahh man that is a beautiful place you have. :beer:

Thanks for the compliment.  I am really getting to like being in the country, away from the congested city.

I looked at Exmark, but they were pretty expensive and they would not deal on it.  I ended up with a Ferris.  The specs on it were about the same as the Exmark.  It started out much cheaper, were willing to deal and then they issued a $400 rebate.  It was a no brainer at that point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

Great space.

Get/make yourself some good benches, and I suggest at least 1 with a nice thick steel top so you can bash away on it and weld on it. If you put castors on it helps as well, so you can move it around if need be. I should have done it years ago. Also closed storage is much better than open shelves. It looks neater and keeps the dust out. With that roof height, I would consider building a mezzanine at some stage as extra storage is always worth while (no matter how big your space is you will always fill it and want more ? ) .

For a compressor always go as big as you can, and even consider putting it outside, or in an insulated box, as they are really noisy.

With a big space like that, something that may become an issue, is that you quickly run out of wall space. If that becomes an issue it can be worth thinking about making 'walls', eg, putting cabinets back to back moving into the centre of the space. I was amazed at having a good size garage and suddenly running out of wall space. 

In any case, planning what to do with that big space is a good problem to have.

Thanks Jeff,

A work bench is definitely higher up on my priority list.  My wife was suggesting that I buy a work bench.  The ones I looked at seemed pretty sturdy, with steel bases and a 1 inch hardwood top, in either 6" or 8" sizes.  However, they were only  24" wide.  That seemed too narrow to me.  How wide is your bench?

I was thinking it may be a better idea to just build one.  Then I could make it to any size I like.  I was also thinking about making it slightly taller too, so I would not have to bend over to work on stuff.

I really like the idea of a steel top and having it on casters.  Having a lot of the shop be flexible in the configuration is really desirable.

Putting the compressor outside in an insulated box makes a lot of sense.  Why put up with all that noise if you don't have too.

As a good friend of mine always says "The planning is 80% of the fun in a project".  I plan to have a lot of fun this winter!

• Like 1

That's a beautiful place. I love the landscaping around the house. Your shop is 2 1/2 times larger than mine! what I could hoard up in there! ROFL

I would locate the compressor outside, but it needs to be protected from freezing. It makes it hard to start up and residual water can freeze in the lines.

Distributed air is really nice. Also a lot of wall outlets 44" off the floor. That way there is counter height power everywhere. Good work benches a must. A metal topped bench is really nice. I agree on ventilation. I also want as much light as I can get. I want operating room bright. I would switch them on multiple switches so I can run what I want and get it brighter when needed. Enclosed storage is nice or even a dedicated parts room. You could make the ceiling of the parts room the mezzanine area like Jeff suggested. I can help you size the framing if you need help. I might want a partition to keep tractors, mowers and small engine tools separate from the shop area with separate access doors. Some 220v power for a good welder. Hot and cold water and a bathroom. I also have a stacked washer dryer in my shop bathroom. I wash grungy rags, drop clothes and shop towels in it

• Like 2

Marty,

I didn't catch your square footage and dimensions.  I'm in the process of building a garage and I'm really enjoying all the comments.  You're are going to spend as much money 'setting up shop' as you spent on the whole building !   Interesting construction type - post and truss framing with siding on purin or bent framing.  Lovely piece of property!

3 hours ago, Marty Rogan said:

Thanks Jeff,

A work bench is definitely higher up on my priority list.  My wife was suggesting that I buy a work bench.  The ones I looked at seemed pretty sturdy, with steel bases and a 1 inch hardwood top, in either 6" or 8" sizes.  However, they were only  24" wide.  That seemed too narrow to me.  How wide is your bench?

My Bench is 1200mm wide from memory (so 4'). 

I didn't think about the compressor freezing outside, as that is not an issue we have to consider here. 

Like you said, the planning is half the fun, you just don't want to fill it with too much junk before you have your plan worked out ?