IGNORED

Slotted mag center caps

zclocks

I recently purchase a nice set of " Western" slotted mag wheels , but no center caps. Yea, I know not everyone likes the retro style, but it works for me. Making it short I spent many hrs on the web looking for caps.

Seems that the most popular is the 2.75 inch push on caps and the ones I was looking for didn't exist.  I finally looked at the MSA cat and found they had the 3.183 inch caps.Taking nothing to chance I took a wheel with me to verify that the caps would fit. WELL, they didn't. I purchased one cap with the idea that I could make it fit. 

What I've discovered is that the caps have a range of interference fit and most of what I was finding, with new caps, was this interference fit was 0.055 inch. This fit would not work with my wheels  and I suspect with others. Anything more that 0.045 in and the fit was so tight you couldn't remove the cap by hand. I suspect that over the years the injection mold tolerance and thickness of copper /chrome plate have grown. 

However, with the use of my magic grinder I took off 0.006 in and NOW it fits very nicely. So if your looking to replace or need center caps keep interference dimension fit in mind.

Ron

caps.jpg

• Like 1

Nice idea, I have some 14 inch wheels I believe to be Western, and had the missing center cap issue.  I did a pretty good bit of searching, and also found a cap from MSA that was a very close fit.  I was able to push them onto the wheels with some effort, without grinding.  Could you post a picture of your wheel and the whole cap?

Thanks

Edited by Freez74

I haven't started polishing yet and wanted to make sure I had caps and lugs fit the 14"wheels. I did see the other caps on eBay , but they are slightly larger than the MSA. I could get the caps on without removing any material , but it took a rubber mallet to get them off. Also, the stress on the plastic over time might crack the cap. By removing a few thousands the caps fit just like OEM and are easily removed.

Ron

wheel-1.jpg

Those caps look exactly like the ones I bought, and they seem to fit the same way.  My wheels are the mesh type, but the center and lip of the rim look exactly like yours.  So, I am pretty sure they are Western, that's what I wanted a picture for.  I think if I ever buy any more caps for these, I will shave them down like you did.  They have been in the wheels for a couple of years, and I popped them off one time to change tires.  No cracks so far.  Also, I was sent a little "Z" sticker with the caps, but I didn't put them on yet.

Thank you!

Hey Gary,

I'm sure each wheel is slightly different ( center hole) and maybe the cap dimensions might have have grown over years of production. I could get mine on without shaving them down, but like I said a mallet was needed to remove.

Thanks....Ron