IGNORED

OEM AM Radio- Will it add value?

Sunline

I wanted to get a few opinions on whether is is worth spending close to 1000.00 for a stock AM radio to install in my March 1971 build.

Car is rust free, glass out repaint, all original interior in near perfect condition. Engine has been completely rebuilt and except for some non braided hoses looks original. Non original parts are:  a 280Z 5 speed and an aftermarket CD player.

Any thoughts / opinions would be appreciated.

If it were my car and it had a 5 speed later model transmission, I wouldn't worry about an AM radio for originality unless I was going to bring all aspects of the car back to 1971 showroom standards.  Other opinions may vary.

Dennis

• Like 2

I agree with @psdenno. Unless you're going for a pure restore I'd skip the AM radio. I've gone with the RetroSound radio with Bluetooth that looks as close to stock as it gets, no more CD's or cassettes to clutter up the car. I have ~1,200 albums on my phone to choose from.

Edited by w3wilkes
  • Like 1

I wanted to get a few opinions on whether is is worth spending close to 1000.00 for a stock AM radio to install in my March 1971 build.
Car is rust free, glass out repaint, all original interior in near perfect condition. Engine has been completely rebuilt and except for some non braided hoses looks original. Non original parts are:  a 280Z 5 speed and an aftermarket CD player.
Any thoughts / opinions would be appreciated.

A year or So ago I had a none working radio for a 62 Covette so I sent it off and daconverted to a AM/AM with four channel outputs and misc in adapter. Got it back and it appears to be stock but works great. Cost was around $500.

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

He 7tooZ I checked out your idea and sure enough there are companies that can do this. I never would have known. I like this idea because the dash keeps the stock look but I can get a 4 speaker stereo from the standard radio. Now I just have to decide if the AM only is worth the $300 upcharge over the am/fm. Hmmm........

Just wanted to remind…  in the States there was the Hitachi the Original radio..  in (Most of )  europe there was the CLARION  the Original radio in the 240Z !

It had only AM..  5 pushbuttons..  and a scale with DATSUN and CLARION on it.   sold one last year for 300 euro...  (to me it's crazy..)  He offered it.. and i could'nt  resist..

Here in the Netherlands there is almost no station on AM anymore..   to test the radio i had to use a transmitter that covers the entire range.  After 40 years it still workt fine. only a new bulb was needed for the scale.

This might be a good alternative to permanently installing an updated radio in your Z:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GuTlimcrZ4

Velcro it to the inside rear hatch area, which is already acoustically like an amphitheater, and then control it from your smartphone. 

Plus the jump starter and flashlight features are a nice bonus.

Edited by DatsunZGuy

18 minutes ago, DatsunZGuy said:

This might be a good alternative to permanently installing an updated radio in your Z:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GuTlimcrZ4

Velcro it to the inside rear hatch area, which is already acoustically like an amphitheater, and then control it from your smartphone. 

Plus the jump starter and flashlight features are a nice bonus.

The only thing it's lacking is a built in blender for tailgate party Margaritas.  LOL

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 2